Hey!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

bec&dean

Hey!

Post by bec&dean »

Hello!
I'm Rebecca and just today my husband Dean and I bought a 5month old green ringneck named Kevin. He is extremely frightened (understandably) and is biting. I am familiar with having birds as pets as I have grown up with a budgie and rainbow lorikeet. However I am confused as to how to start off with taming him. I don't want to just grab him out of the cage and force him to play. How do I begin the training process?
Also is there a way of telling what sex the bird is? The breeder said that we won't be able to tell until the ring forms around his neck at 18 months old. I was wondering if there's a way of finding out earlier?

Thanks! :)
mikeb

Re: Hey!

Post by mikeb »

hi , yes you can go to an avian vet and have it surgically sexed or do a DNA test which usually is cheaper and you can do it yourself i'm in the US and don't know where you can get it done over there just put in avian DNA test in your search engine and you should find something welcome mike
bec&dean

Post by bec&dean »

That's great I will look into that, thanks!
We have had progress tonight.. We let Kevin out of his cage and he responded well to sitting on deans finger. We are so happy, he seems to be coming out of his shell and playing with his toys and making a bit of noise. He's lovely!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi and welcome.

Did you manage to find a DNA site?
Azure

Post by Azure »

Hello! Welcome to the site!
if you still have not found a site, can i suggest http://www.mdsaustralia.net/?
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet