ALOHA!!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

krlum

ALOHA!!

Post by krlum »

I am a bird LOVER on the beautiful island of Oahu, and just recently got two baby ringnecks. :D I have four children (ages 9, 4, 2 & 1), and the babies fit right into my brood!! They are about 4-5 weeks old, and I took them right out of the nests from the breeder. He told me they were only 3 weeks old, but I know they're older by the amount of feathers they have.

I have one df violet, and one...I wanna say a pastel blue/teal color. I've owned many, many birds before, but these are my first IRN's, so I'm soaking up as much info on them as possible. What I've learned so far?? I got a GREAT deal on my df violet, seeing as so many ppl like these bad boys, and how much they're paying for them lol. I was excited to find a purple bird, simply because it's my favorite color!!

I am currently breeding lovebirds, and will probably look into breeding these also, but not this pair. They're too much a part of the ohana already. They are cuddled in their towel right next to me as we speak. They cry when I walk away, put them back into their box, or don't give them enough kisses!! I handraised every bird I've owned, but I've never been so attached so soon!!! I'm surprised my kids aren't jealous, lol. It's quite the opposite, actually. My 1 yr old places him arm around them when I'm holding them all in my arms, and gives them kisses very very gently. They purr and rub their heads against his hands, or simply close their eyes and stretch their necks out.

I will post pictures asap, of my babies (human, and feathered), and I look foward to getting to know everyone here!!

**Kayla**
ellieelectrons

Re: ALOHA!!

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Kayla

Welcome. I love the baby stage too! And it certainly does bond you to the bird quickly. Got our second IRN a little older and the bond took longer to establish.

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hello and welcome Kayla.

How lucky was that to get a bird in your fav colour!!
I love handraising, watching them grow into a stunning bird.
krlum

Post by krlum »

Thanks for the welcome :D

I just searched how to post pics, so hopefully my computer and camera cooperate so I can post some pictures today
krlum

Post by krlum »

Hey guys!!

I posted some pictures in the photo forum...I will continue posting as they grow. I'm so excited to see what colors they'e gonna be all grown up!!

Question....I've noticed that they'r starting to pick on things. e.g...my computer keys and cord as we speak!! What is a good starter fruit/veggie for these guys?? I gave them grapes yesterday, but they didnt care for them much.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

By the look of the cute photos, they will possibly start to take interest in a bit of solid food. I peg a spray of millet on their basket (What I keep them in when they are in the brooder) and leave a small amount of thawed corn and peas in a shallow container. I use peas and corn to start with as it is fairly colourful and attracts the chicks attention. It does take a while for them to eat solid food, maybe a few days to a few weeks. I also add a small amount of cooked and mashed pumpkin, apple or any easily mashable soft fruit or veg to the baby formula to help get them used to different flavours.
Melika

Post by Melika »

We just diced up soft veggies (cucumber, squash, etc.) and fed them from our fingers at first. They knew where food came from! And welcome. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
krlum

Post by krlum »

Thanks guys!! I didn't realize IRN's were such picky eaters, lol. My lovebirds will eat whatever I give them, but I'm learning that these brats are very stubborn, and prone to throw fits. Pip will simply shake her head and refuse to eat, and Rocko literally runs away from me. I've been trying different things every day...So far I've tried grapes, carrots, celery, bananas & apples. They don't like any of it!! Next up will be the squash and sweet potato. We'll see how that goes. They're bound to like something I give 'em!!

They are very, very cuddly babies. Before I bought them, I read up as much as I could about IRN's, and almost everything said that they aren't very affectionate birds. How untrue!! They cry if I give my human babies a kiss in front of them and don't kiss them right after! Who does that??? Smart, smart babies.

I'll keep you guys posted!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

They are cuddly babies but get more independent as they grow older. However, some will still remain reasonably cuddly but not in the same way as they are when they are babies.

Ellie.