Hey this is Tom & Charlie

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Charlieringneck

Hey this is Tom & Charlie

Post by Charlieringneck »

Hi there my name is Tom and my parakeet is a 3-4 year old male ringneck called Charlie, I just got him 3 weeks ago from a lady who didn't want him. Over the past 3 weeks he has really come out of his shell, he chatters away to himself and he will take food from my hand in flight but won't yet land on me nor come on my hand. I found this site as i came home tonight and he was pulling out his feathers. I just put a new mirror in on Saturday and have since taken it out after reading some of the comments on here. I found them very helpful.
ellieelectrons

Re: Hey this is Tom & Charlie

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Tom

Welcome to the forum. I hope you and Charlie have many wonderful years together.

Pulling out feathers can be a caused by a medical condition, overzealous preening, boredom or stress.

He is probably still feeling a little stressed in his new environment. Give him a couple more weeks to settle in.

Boredom can be alleviated by providing plenty of foraging opportunities. See this post for my details:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=11701

You also may like to consider a vet check by an avian vet.

Best wishes!

Ellie.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family to you both. Sounds like your fid is already beginning to connect with you, give him time, it will take months to gain a strong bond, s/he will come around bit by bit. xoxo
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Charlieringneck

Post by Charlieringneck »

Thanks both of you. I'm liking the idea of foraging (for Charlie!!). I think that will be good for keeping him entertained in the day too. Especially now he can't sit and look at himself all day!! There are so many good tips on this site! It's a lot to take in! I spoke to a colleague today who has a lovebird and she suggested that as i just gave Charlie a wash at the weekend he may just be molting. The feathers were not plucked from his chest. What do you think?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

You can try a spray bottle. My Charlie (lutino IRN) loves the spray bottle but it freaks Janey (blue IRN) out. Since they co-habitate I take them both in the shower with me most days..... however, it took a lot of gently, gently training for them to not be scared of the shower. Other people put a shallow dish (maybe a baking dish) with water in it, or put their bird in the sink with the tap running.

I have some shower perches that I keep in the shower for them.
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b2.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
b3.jpg
b3.jpg (16.52 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
I like to do it in the morning so they have time to dry off before it gets dark.

Best wishes!

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome Tom. :D