New! Hi all. :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

millijade

New! Hi all. :)

Post by millijade »

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Queensland!

Im new to being an IRN owner and i aquired my lovely pale blue IRN 3 months ago. I have had him/her for 3 months now and in guessing its around a year old. Not sure on age or sex as im the 3rd owner and no one can help me with info, the last person who had the bird said she'd had it for 3 months and just left it in a cage as the bird wasnt friendly, (boy, she wasnt wrong). She also said it was around 8-9 months old.

I joined to get info, ask questions and learn about hand raising as i can do all sorts with my baby now but she (im sure it is) still bites and screams at my visitors or anyone who tries to touch her both inside or away from the cage.

Im very happy with her and her progress, she's a fast learner! :D
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Re: New! Hi all. :)

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family .. sounds like you are doing a wonderful job, taking it slowly and getting to know your fid is the best way to go.
:D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hello millijade.

How is the progress going with your little girl now?
millijade

Post by millijade »

Hello pinkdevil,

Progress is slow as i live alone and i dont get visitors ofen so im not surprised that charlie is only attached to me, i'd like her to be more social and was advised to take her with me everywhere i go but its just not possible or fair, i dont want to stress my bird by taking her to the sunday markets, supermarkets etc. And besides given she has a tendancy to "fly" (only downward motion as she has one wing clipped) when it looks like someone is going to touch her or you get too close to me and she's on my shoulder i'll probably loose her or she'll get trod on or something which i dont want to risk.

Otherwise she is fine, just HIGHLY agressive with touchin her toys which she never used to be until recently and always has been nuts when given a mirror either as a toy or sitting on my shoulder when im brushing my teeth and she sees herself in my mirror, She literially smashes her beak into the glass and screams at the reflection. And if i approach the toy mirror (have taken away completely) she will bite and hold on to my skin or clamp down till there is blood. She will just keep pecking till i take it away and then she is good as new and back to normal. Enjoying scratches while clucking with her head back or cleaning my teeth seems to be when she likes best, lol!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Have you considered getting her a companion? I know the episode with the mirror doesn't look too promising for that.... but it is better for a bird to be bonded to another bird than to a human.... and it keeps her from being bored when you are out.

Unfortunately with IRNs you never can tell whether they will bond to another bird... so it is definitely a risk... but they are not made to be alone and inappropriate behaviour such as not letting other people near you results in them bonding to you as if you were a bird. When your bird is doing that, it thinks it is protecting you.

Good luck and best wishes. Tough decisions to make!

Ellie.
millijade

Post by millijade »

Hi Ellie,

Thanks for informing me of that, i had no idea charlie thinks she's protecting me. I did know birds do that! I have put charlie with another IRN, a male and it didnt go well to start with. She attacked him like she did the mirror and i had to separate them. She kept trying to peck him in the head and going for his eyes. :twisted: I kept his cage about a metre apart from hers to they could see and chat, splat wanted to be friends but not charlie, after 9 days charlie started leaving her cage to sit on top of his during the night but was still unableto get any closer then 30cm without her trying to kill him.

It is a tough decision but i will not be getting rid of her that i do know for sure. I am her 4th owner but i also love her and enjoy spending time with her even if at times she drivres me up the wall when she starts screaming if she cant join in the action. :D At the moment im just making regular trips to my mates house with charlie for IRN interaction. Its a slow process but it does seem to be working.
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

Hi :)
Can somebody please tell me how I put a pic of my IRN as my avatar?
I can't get it to work :(
Buddy
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Nettie wrote:Hi :)
Can somebody please tell me how I put a pic of my IRN as my avatar?
I can't get it to work :(
Try this link Nettie :)
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=4&t=7882
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

Thank you :)
Couldn't get it to work as avatar tho?? Kept saying url invalid or to long??
But as you can see got it to work as signature (although a bit big) :D

So this is my baby, his (at least we think he) name is Buddy. About 18months old now. Had him since 3 months old. Had never been handled before we got him :)

He talks heaps and I can handle him at times (going through 'bluffing' at the moment) but when I can pick him up he lets me pat him and give him kisses 8)
Has a nice large cage with his toys and he is ALWAYS out of his cage, the only time we close him in is of a night when we put him to bed. He loves to get down on the floor and steal the kids toys!! cheeky bugger :lol:
Buddy
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

I fixed the size for the signature but pic won't show up as avatar :(
Buddy
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Nettie wrote:I fixed the size for the signature but pic won't show up as avatar :(
What is the size of the pic you are trying to use for your avatar? Maximum size is 80 pixels x 80 pixels and no larger than 6 kb.

What is the link address you are trying to use? Do you have other link address options? Some image hosts have a few link choices.
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

size is 80 x 80, same size as the pic in signature.
I uploaded to photobucket and copied the link address for the signature, but trying to do the same thing for avatar the pic just doesn't show.
Buddy
Melika

Post by Melika »

The image in your signature is 326px × 245px and 33.86 KB

My avatar is 80px X 80px and 3.29 KB.

Just for comparison. :)
Welcome to the board!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

The pic I was trying to put as avatar was 80 x 80 and between 3-4kb.
I changed the pic in my signature after posting that :D
Buddy