hi

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

phil1984

hi

Post by phil1984 »

hi everybody, name is phil and i have always loved IRN, just last weekend i bought my first 4 IRN, male grey, and a blue, yellow, and white females. soon ill be constructing a great new aviary, cos i really want to be successful with breeding them. i have been reading on the net that its a good idea to keep male and females seperate, is this true cos i would hate to lose my male. i live in melbourne australia and i was wondering if anyone knew when or if they are ready to breed at any time of the year? can they breed more then once in a year as well. im plan for my new aviary will be two fairly big sections containing the males and female seperate and when they would come into season to place a male and female into another section of the aviary so they would be alone, is that i good idea. would love to hear everybodies differnet opinions
SCB -SA

Re: hi

Post by SCB -SA »

hi you will need an even number of males and females if you intend breeding, they pair up and male helps in raising the young....

Welcome to the board! you will find alot of helpful info and if all else fails ASK theres always someone with advice!
phil1984

Post by phil1984 »

Could I keep them all together or should I keep them Seperate and only put them together when breeding season comes around
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Different breeders do different things. Some keep breeding pairs together all the time.... some, do as you have said, keep them separate and then pair them together at breeding time. My understanding is that you shouldn't have two breeding pairs together in the same cage/aviary.... they need to have one cage/aviary each.

Regardless of which strategy you choose, it will be important to regularly check that noone is being picked on excessively.

Good luck!

Ellie.
phil1984

Post by phil1984 »

So all white irn r males is this true
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

No, I don't think that is true. I know someone on this forum who has a white female IRN.

With certain breeding pairs, depending on their colour mutations and splits, their genetics may be such that if they get a particular colour bird you will know its gender.

Hope that helps.

Ellie.
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Not all white indian ringnecks are male, i personally own a female.

Although visually it is impossible to tell a male from a female as the male does not get a ring as normal males do,
due to lack of melanin in the feathers.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Phil1984.

I am in NSW and breeding season for my area is generally Aug-Nov. Ringies can have 2 or even 3 clutches during the breeding season if the eggs are removed for other forms of incubation or if the chicks are removed for handraising.

I keep all my breeding pairs in their own aviary. I do not mix pairs, but this is just how I prefer.

I also have 2 white (blue ino) ringies that I bred from last season. They are both hens due to the parents genetics.
phil1984

Post by phil1984 »

You guys r awesome. So what sort of chicks do you guys think I would get out of my dark grey male, if I was to try and pair him with the blue, yellow or white hen
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

phil1984 wrote:You guys r awesome. So what sort of chicks do you guys think I would get out of my dark grey male, if I was to try and pair him with the blue, yellow or white hen
Not sure what you mean by 'dark' grey male, so will give you results for a normal grey. :)
Providing there are no (/) splits (hidden colours), the results will be as follows:-

grey male with blue hen:- blue and grey chicks in both sexes.

grey male with blue ino (albino) hen:- blue and grey chicks in both sexes with the males being split for ino

grey male with lutino (yellow) hen:- grey green/blue and green/blue in females, grey green/blue ino and green/blue ino in males
phil1984

Post by phil1984 »

Thanks so much too everybody who has helped, now a question I've been dying to ask, how do I get cobalt
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

phil1984 wrote: a question I've been dying to ask, how do I get cobalt
Purchase one! :lol: :P

I am not sure what mutations needed to breed cobalt birds. I am only a beginner with genetics.
Guessing if you can find birds that are split for cobalt, you have a chance at breeding chicks.