I think Iam going to be gettin a new IRN tonight

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

munchies folks

I think Iam going to be gettin a new IRN tonight

Post by munchies folks »

I found a ad on craigslist about a 3year old female that needs a new home. So i call the number and spoke with the lady and she told me how the bird was once her neighbors and i guess the bird bite owner, so these people took the bird outside and left it there. They no longer wanted her. So the lady i spoke with took the bird in and here we are. I know she is aggressive when she is in her cage, but gets better once she is out. So i was thinking since munchie died I told my wife I wanted to rescue a bird that needed a forever home that has come from a bad home. So iam going here shortly to meet the baby girl. If I come home with her i will post photo's.
bec

Re: I think Iam going to be gettin a new IRN tonight

Post by bec »

did ya get her? did ya? ...did ya?
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

Yes!! Her name is Kiwi. Her name fit her color 100%. She is VERY shy. I mean, VERY. so she is going to take some work. But much to my wife and I's surprise she took a noodle out of my hand. But that was as far as I went. Iam letting her adjust. I will post a photo or two if she decides to come out to her new play area. She was being housed in a portable rabbit hutch. I see a good bird here in the future.

Stay tuned. This may end up being a funny thread, May even start a poll on how much i spend in total on band-aids until she is completely trained. :o :lol:
bec

Post by bec »

congrats on your new fid
cant wait to see pics
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

awwww...congrats on giving Kiwi a new forever home. Sounds like she deserves it.
Progress already with her taking food from your hand....good sign.
Can't wait for the pics!
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

Night ONE is in the books, i just uncovered her and there she was hanging on the side of her new home and she didnt "skitz" out when i was removing her cover. Then i decided to try again with a morning treat and be damned she took the grape right from me. I will post pics up in a few hours. I have a few dr. appts today so after theat iam gonna open the door and see if she is going to come out for a little.

Will update in a few hours
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

I will get a better one once she comes out her shell a lil more.
Attachments
HEEEEERE's Kiwi
HEEEEERE's Kiwi
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

also if anyone has any info that maybe helping me with training her and helping her come out of her shell please feel free to post. :D
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

day TWO.. I uncovered Kiwi this morning, and there is hangs on the side of the cage she knew i would be on, she didnt run. Then i open the cage door and start talking to her and offer her a morning treat of a peanut. And she took it with out even thinking about it. Then I offered a grape and same thing, didnt even bat a eye and took it. Woohooo...baby steps. but iam very happy.

Let me ask a question, do any of you use or have one of the bird beds that hang in the cage, they are furry. Iam wondering if she may be a lil chilly so i wasnt sure if she would use it, with her big tail and all.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

We have a birdie bunk. They climb over it sometimes climb through it... I don't see them sitting in it often but I think if it gets particularly cold they will sleep in it.... but I've had it for at least a year and a half now and Janey has probably slept in it 3 times.

Having said that, it doesn't get too cold here.

Ellie.
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

Today was a great day! I started the morning like i have with uncovering her and saying good morning, and a grape. I sat by her for about 20 mins, then left the cage door open and sat on my chair. About 10 mins later i hear someone moving in her cage and i look there is Kiwi making her way out! She came out and then decided i wanna explore. She did so for a few mins then walked back into her cage. Well about a hour ago my wife and I are sittin here and we hear a odd noise. I looked at her and she looked at me. I said "kiwi" in a sweet voice and sure enough there is the noise again. Then my wife said, "kiwi wanna come play?" and didnt kiwi come over the the door of her cage and making a funny noise and bobbing around. :shock:

I have yet to try to handle her yet, i dont think either of us are ready for that yet. Iam gonna give it a few more days
julie

Post by julie »

Id say she is tame but hasnt been handled for a long time. My boy indie come from a pet shop, he was sold as untame. I had an inkling that he was pretty friendly when he really looked like he was listening to me talk and he was coming closer not trying to get away. Sure enough when we got him home he was doing the same thing you described your kiwi doing. We just let him get used to us doing everyday things and let him see that we didnt want to harm him. He eventually just come over to us, mainly when we were eating and we would give him a treat. Food is a big thing for them and really helps to tame them.
bec

Post by bec »

riku was the same he was hand reared but was in the shop to long & not handled enough but food won him over in days!!!!!!
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

well lastnight Kiwi started chirping for the first time. It seems though we are going backwards. Kiwi hasnt accepted a treat from my hand now in a full day, but once she sees me put it in her bowl she would wait a few mins then go over to her bowl and take out the grape or peanut. Also she seems to get all excited and will respond to talking to her at nighttime only, during the day she just sits on her highest pearch watching and preening herself.

Let me ask a question, Is there a way to tell if kiwi was used as a breeder? she seems larger then normal IRN's i see posted here or on video's i watch on youtube.

Thankyou all for the words of advise and well wishes with out this site and the member i would be lost :D
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

Lastnight was another good night! Kiwi decided about a hour before its her bed time that she wanted to start whistling and i mean loud. So i say kiwi wanna come play. and be damned she hauled her tail feathers to the front door and started bobbing up and down. So i open her door and there she goes right out of the front door and hooting and hollaring. i was so happy. but it only seems like she gets like this right before bedtime even if iam talking to her ALL day and evening. Is this normal ?

so far no bites. close 2 times. but no band-aids needed as of yet.
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

Kiwi Came out 2 times on her own lastnight. and decided i wanna float around the room,so she flapped her wings just as fast as they would flap. so i walked over to the closet where she landed. I tried to get her to step up on a perch she did at first then flew off of it. so i has to get a towel to wrap her to pick her up so she didnt harm herself. and BANG get got my middle finger, :oops: ooouch. she didnt draw blood so were arnt gonna start the band-aid pool yet :lol:. iam gonna uncover her and get the day started. i will post again tomorrow.

have a great day everyone.
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

Been a few days since last update. Seems like we are going backwards. :( . Kiwi is Now running from me while i walk past her cage. She hasnt accepted a treat from my hand in a few days. So just my luck, she was abused by a man. Lovely. Soo here is the question of the day: Can the trust be rebuilt if this is the case? I dont wanna see her in a cage for the rest of her life or on top on it. She deserves to be held and loved and played with :( . Iam open to all ideas. Iam still talking and sitting right next to her cage N still trying several times a day to get her a treat. She will make nosies and all when she is talked to once in a while so i have Great hopes for her.
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

looks like you are doing all the right things, just keep at it i guess. it took my Senegal a month before she trusted me enough to be handled.
like you i have a new IRN female i picked up on saturday so this is day 5. yesterday i decided to clip her wings so she doesn't fly away everytime i come near her. now she has to pay attention to me and i don't worry about any crash landings. i may let them grow back in, we'll see.
the ad said "hand tame, large vocabulary, very sweet" my dream bird. i have yet to see much of this. she likes to sit on her favorite top perch most of the day where she will preen or sleep. i open her door in the morning and she does come out but doesn't venture far. her cage is next to another empty cage with toys on top for her but she does not go there to check anything out.
she says 'hi betty" but thats all i can understand, the rest is garbled. so like you, i want to work with her but i don't want to get bit. they say these birds need handled often or they will revert back to their untame state. don't quite know how to accomplish this. seems the more she sits in there the less tame she becomes.
these birds sure can be hard to figure out.
let us know how you are progressing, i look forward to your posts.
P.S. i drove past Harrisburg to get her, she was in Laurel MD. i am in Williamsport, PA
munchies folks

Post by munchies folks »

Thankyou for the kind words and hope :D .

let me ask, should i shut her cage door when she comes out to make her stay out and not penned up? iam asking kinda late, right now as i type Kiwi is scampering back and forth looking on how to get back into her cage. she is on the top preening herself, is that ok, that i basically lock her out for a while? basically forcing her to spend time outside, or should i not do this.

I will start my daily posts again tomorrow, my back has been bothering me so i haven't been up to doing anything, but iam back. Will try to get more photos of her soon
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I would leave her cage open, that way she can go back in if she feels scared of threatened.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi munchies folks,

Don't get too disheartened. Each bird has different personalities and upbringings so what may work for one bird, may not work for another. Just trial and error.:)

Does Kiwi take an interest in what you are doing when out of the cage?
You could try eating fruit in front of her or play with something she is interested in and ignore her for a while. Curiosity may get the better of her and come over to relieve you of your food or 'toy'. This method worked for me with one of my birds. I played with something the bird took an interest in and after a while, the bird came over and snatched it from my hand, (no manners!! lol)
Sometimes by not giving the bird attention will work in reverse and the bird will WANT your attention.

Hope things improve for you. :)