New IRN owner-few questions for more experienced folks

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ziggy37

New IRN owner-few questions for more experienced folks

Post by ziggy37 »

We recently got Ziggy, our IRM, and figure him to be close to 1 year old (not sure of his exact age). When we first got him he was very vocal in the mornings and evenings, would sit on the top perch making a lot of different sounds, etc. Basically he seemed very social. For the last 1.5 weeks, however he is really quiet-hardly makes a sound in the morning and in-fact all day; when we have him step up to the top perch he just climbs down again. Anyway, he seems depressed. We feed him millet, vitamin-fortified seed mix, apples and the like, but he doesn't seem to be eating too much either lately. Is he malnourished or just moody? Also, should we be mixing in vitamin and mineral supplements in with his food? Any general advice would be much appreciated, even just a line or two.
Thanks,
Phil & Justyna (Ireland)
SkyesMom

Re: New IRN owner-few questions for more experienced folks

Post by SkyesMom »

I am by no means an expert at this, being a new IRN parent myself just this year. But I can see a few questions that might help someone with more experience answer your question:
1. How much time does Ziggy get out of the cage?
2. How much human contact does Ziggy get?

Hm. I guess that is really all I can think of. :D
Dana
julie

Post by julie »

it gets really annoying when you post the exact same thing in different sections.

ONLY POST IT ONCE like i said via pm.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome aboard Ziggy.

It is hard to try and guess what, if anything, could be wrong with your little one. Is he going through a moult? The best I would suggest is, if you are concerned healthwise about him, take him to a vet for a health check just to be on the safe side.
ziggy37

Post by ziggy37 »

Thanks so much for the suggestions.
Sorry, I did not post the exact same thing in two different sections and I deleted the posts that were exactly the same as you said.
Melika

Post by Melika »

pinkdevil wrote:Welcome aboard Ziggy.

It is hard to try and guess what, if anything, could be wrong with your little one. Is he going through a moult? The best I would suggest is, if you are concerned healthwise about him, take him to a vet for a health check just to be on the safe side.
Like Pink said. A change in behavior and eating can be indicative of a more serious problem.

Also, it seems that many of our parrot problems stem from everything being provided and too easy. Have you tried creating foraging toys? The one Hane is currently demolishing is simply black and white newspaper strips and seed treats stuffed into a brown paper bag.
I'm trying to make foraging part of his daily routine- encouraging him to explore his cage and keep his beak and mind busy and entertained.

Dana's questions are also important to answer.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
julie

Post by julie »

Is this not the same question in another section ? http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=11584
ziggy37

Post by ziggy37 »

Thanks for all the advice. Ziggy seems to be back to his normal self. We've gone to more variety in our food selection and a lot more vegetables-he loves broccoli, imagine that-and we've got vitamin supplements that we now mix in with his food and water and he's energetic as hell now! We'll have to try the foraging thing.
An no this wasn't exactly the same question as in the other section, but I'll adhere to the policy from here on out.
Thanks,
Phil & Justyna (Ireland)