hi from S.A.

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

jinxd

hi from S.A.

Post by jinxd »

hi, I'm new to this, I have a blue ringneck he's about 10weeks old, I'm still feeding him with a syringe, the thing I can't get right is to get him to eat fruit or veggies or his seed, I've tried mashed potatoes but refuses everything. Is he still too young or just stubborn? Or maybe I'm doing it wrong,
Attachments
taken about a month ago
taken about a month ago
xx_sheena_xx

Re: hi from S.A.

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Welcome
I would say his too young as you seem to be trying the right way, he only looks maybe 5 weeks old to me though
pinkdevil

Re: hi from S.A.

Post by pinkdevil »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Have you tried to add a bit of mashed cooked sweet potato, pumpkin etc to the formula? He would get a taste of it then and may take to them easier.
I leave millet spray in the cage/brooder when they start to show interest in other foods. I also leave a small container of sprouted or soaked seed for the day, sometimes they eat that.
They seem to play with it more so than eat it at such a young age, I have noticed, but eventually get the hang of it being food not toys. :lol:
They are curious little birds and tend to want what you have at the time. Maybe try cooked corn and peas, squish them slightly so they are broken up and 'play' with it by picking it up and dropping it back in the container.
Not all birds wean at the same time, so I would not worry too much just yet. :)