Hello all, new member and new baby Alexandrine

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

gemmm

Hello all, new member and new baby Alexandrine

Post by gemmm »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Gemma. I am crazy for parrots and very new to the parrot world. It has almost been one year since I discovered my love and passion for these beautiful animals. I have been doing plenty of reading and forum chatting to other passionate people and just can't get enough.

Recently my beautiful quaker passed away and I was devastated as it was only a short time of having her. She meant everything to me and still does. It was a horrible accident and I have learnt a great deal from it.

So I decided to get Charlie, my first Alexandrine and "big"parrot. I was a little worried to begin with, but fell in complete love with him straight away. (Well, at least I think he is a he!) I havent had him dna tested.

At the moment he is 10 weeks old. Still very quiet but does these sooky Alexandrine sqwarks and I am worried he is not happy. As I am not sure how to react with a baby. I bought my quaker at 9months old, and persisted with the handeling everyday and she fell in complete love with me. No troules at all with her, apart from being a fussy eater and got frightened easily (which was how the terrible accident occured.) Anyway, Charlie is beautiful but has become very bitey. Will step iup if i close my fist and speak softly, otherwise he will bite visciously at my fingers and sometimes try to pull at any skin possible.

He oviously still doesnt trust me, its been two weeks he has been here. I was hoping to speak with someone who has had plenty of experience with baby Alexandrines and understands the behavior quite well.

Just want todo the right thing by him.

I handle him 2 times per day minimum, work full time so i get up half hour early to feed, talk to him and handle in morning if he isnt too bitey. Then afternoons i handle him and keep him out of cage till his bed time.
I feed him fruit, veges, pallets, seeds, and fresh water daily.
I have bought two new toys and will be upgrading cage soon, seeing as he will get much bigger.

I am going to be away for two nights so Im very worried about leaving him and feel like cancelling my $200 dollar flights or something...however, the person i am leaving him with has an indian ring neck who is beautiful and she will look after charlie very well, I just dont want to upset him. i plan on talking to him through the phone both nights.

even when he is with me and not biting he does this sook cry all the time and seems to want to stay in his cage, eat and sleep. is this a normal baby thing?

I hope someone can help...Ive been sooo sad about it.

Gem
Melika

Re: Hello all, new member and new baby Alexandrine

Post by Melika »

Sorry I cannot be of much help as I have no experience with alexandrines, though I wonder if he was weaned properly... I feel like a grandma saying hot comfort food fixes everything.

Welcome to the board and I hope you find your answers. (:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
gemmm

Post by gemmm »

Melika wrote:Sorry I cannot be of much help as I have no experience with alexandrines, though I wonder if he was weaned properly... I feel like a grandma saying hot comfort food fixes everything.

Welcome to the board and I hope you find your answers. (:

Hey, Thanks for the reply. I honestly think you are right. Because when I got him he was up to one feed per night and when he came here he didn't want the food. It might honestly be something to do with it. As I just don't know why he gets upset.
I might call the breeder again and see what he says.

Cheers..
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Gemma,
I did welcome you last night but seems as if it didn't go through, net was playing up!
So, welcome.....again. :P :lol:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Gemma

Welcome to the forum. Our IRN Janey continued to make baby noises long after weaning... usually to me (rather than my husband). I think she saw me as her parent. The person who handraised her was a woman so I guess she attributed women with nurturing and food. She eventually grew out of it (and sometimes I kinda miss it now although at the time I found it a bit worrying). Do you think your Alex is doing it to get your attention?

Regards

Ellie.
gemmm

Post by gemmm »

ellieelectrons wrote:Hi Gemma

Welcome to the forum. Our IRN Janey continued to make baby noises long after weaning... usually to me (rather than my husband). I think she saw me as her parent. The person who handraised her was a woman so I guess she attributed women with nurturing and food. She eventually grew out of it (and sometimes I kinda miss it now although at the time I found it a bit worrying). Do you think your Alex is doing it to get your attention?

Regards

Ellie.
Hi Ellie,

I'm really not sure, it might be for attention as I give her food to see if he is hungry and he wont eat out of my hand but when i walk out of the room he'll eat lol
And I leave him to sleep if i think maybe he is tired. So maybe it is an attention thing?
Today he was really good and didnt bite as much. He was climbing all over me and keeps wanting to be on my head which I don't allow him. Do you think maybe he is trying to be the boss?

cheers,

Gem
julie

Post by julie »

Hello and welcome. I have an alex named Mika, at the moment im handraising baby irns and mika for some reason tries to feed them. He also begs for a hand feed too and my irn who i have had for 8 yrs. Maybe try giving your bub a hand feed with some baby food.