just got my first irn!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

firstirnkiwi

just got my first irn!

Post by firstirnkiwi »

Hi, I just got my first IRN yesterday and i am very excited! I was told that its about 4 months old and the sex is unknown. I've done some research online and read you cant tell by the ring until they are about 3 years old!!! I know about the testing, is there anyway to do that for free? Or really cheap? I'm very curious to say he or she :D
Also, i didnt get any food with kiwi (thats its name i think) so i went to the pet store and the worker there didnt even know what an indian ringneck was, so she was no help for food.. I bought a bag that has seeds, corn, red pepper, peanuts, LOTS of sunflower seeds etc. Just a big bag of parrot seed. Is that what my kiwi should be eating? I have given her/him some apples and some mixed veggies too. i bought a bag of frozen berries to thaw out and feed later... But what should a typical days feeding look like? I've only had cockatiels before, so a bird that requires more then seeds is new to me. So any helpful tips or anything would be great! Thank you!
pinkdevil

Re: just got my first irn!

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi firstirnkiwi.

I do not know of anywhere that offers free sexing. Not sure where you are located, but here is a link to a site that I use. http://www.mdsaustralia.net/site/default.asp I find them reasonably priced.

With regards to feeding, I feed my birds a good quality budgie mix with a few sunflowers added or a small parrot mix. A lot of sunflowers are not good for birds. My vet said it is like us eating hamburgers all the time.
There should be a thread somewhere on the forum about good foods to feed your new bird. :)
firstirnkiwi

Post by firstirnkiwi »

well thank you. im in usa... i found a link to a place that will do it for about 20 dollars... or they send you a free kit and you pay shipping... I'm not too sure about that though... The last thing i want is to make my bird angry at me!!! So far it is going really well! Its a really sweet bird and like to be out all day and near me. :D And i have discovered even with clipped wings kiwi can and will still fly for about 40 feet!
SiobhanDeane

Post by SiobhanDeane »

Hi and congrats on Kiwi! s/he looks like my irn napoleon :D

I feed mine an organic bird food recommended by my vet, by Harrisons (think they are a US company). With the complete granule you can guarantee they are getting all food groups and vitamins, whereas with a seed mix they can pick and choose their favourite, not getting a balanced diet. Veg and fruit are essential too!!
Some foods are toxic tho like avocado so read up what you can give kiwi, but can't recommend the harrison's enough, napoleon is very healthy looking on it!
Good luck
S x
firstirnkiwi

Post by firstirnkiwi »

thank you! I will have to see if i can find some of that. I just ordered roudybush i think its called... its what the previous owner recommended... but when that runs out ill have to try herrisons if i can find it... can i find it at petsmart do you know? Anyways im about to go grocery shopping right not for more fruits and veggies! Any tips on fruits and veggies? how much they should eat a day etc.. thank you!
Last edited by firstirnkiwi on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SiobhanDeane

Post by SiobhanDeane »

hi :D

I haven't heard of that food type - I'm new to bird keeping myself! best thing is to see how Kiwi goes and if s/hes happy and healthy then everything is good! But if its a seed mix and you notice s/he only eats certain things then maybe try her on the pellets.
As for fruit and veg.... I give Naps up to 12g of food a day and he's just turned 6 months (the back of the Harrison's packet gave good advice on quanties), so its a mix between the pellet/granules (about a teaspoon) a little seed mix(1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon) and the rest fruit/veg (a carrot stick, broccoli floret, grape for example) - about half and half. I try to give him more veg than fruit because of the natural sugars in fruit. best to feed little and often I suppose! try as many different fruits and veg as you can with Kiwi, will help stop a fussy eater in future!
But definitely have a read on the forum of other's opinions as they're far more experienced than me! I'm just going on 2 months with Napoleon and advice from the Vet - you'll learn quickly what Kiwi likes :wink:
S x
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Go check out the Diet and Housing section of the site.

Indian Ringnecks diet should consist mainly of fresh fruit and vegi with seed fed secondarily (not the main diet) stay away from sunflower seeds if possible and if they do have them they should not be black (grey striped only). Some prefer a pellet rather than seed.

There are definate no's for your bird. Short list is
No Avadaco
No apple seeds
No chocolate or choclate based substance
Nothing with caffeine
No salt or sugared substances (can cause crop issues)
Stay away from too many fatty nuts like cashews - treats only
No onion

They love other scraps from our own diets, such as pasta, chicken or chicken bones to chew on, natural muesli bars, popcorn (NOT from a microwave bag as it has teflon), and they totally love soaked milk arrowroot biscuits, scrambled eggs (with ground up shell in it) and my boys particularly love !! peanuts in the shell and grapes (but not too many again, all sugar and water)

For treats to train with I use the seeds from Honey Dew Melons, they are big and dry out really well once washed, and the birds will do anything for them :-)

Anyway thats a bit of an idea to start, but do go check out the diet and housing forum and read more :-)
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Oh and as a new owner, make sure you don't cook with teflon coated pans or use the self clean on your oven as the fumes can kill. Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems. Smoke, perfumes, sprays, oil burners are all things you should be aware of not using in close vicinity of your fid. :-) And also think about letting them play with anything that may have glues on them, even such things as paper toilet rolls, the glue's can be toxic.

:-) Yep its just like having a child, you are going to have to safeproof your home

Cheers !
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=4&t=2960

try this link for having you IRN DNA sexed quite easily and cheaply
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

firstirnkiwi

Post by firstirnkiwi »

wow! thank you soo much! that was SOO helpful! luckily my place is already pretty safe for kiwi... a 4 yr old and a baby keep me in line lol :lol:
I've got lots of toys that came with him, baby toys, random other toys that s/he likes to chew on. And yesterday i bought lots of fruits and veggies... So far blackberries seem to be a favorite :P
But yes, im sure ill figure it out more as we go. Im so blessed to have such a sweet baby! I love him so much already! (when in doubt i say he/ him) :mrgreen:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I go so use to typing s/he .. lol did it for a few years .. soon enough you will know
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

kiwi.relichunter

Post by kiwi.relichunter »

For treats to train with I use the seeds from Honey Dew Melons, they are big and dry out really well once washed, and the birds will do anything for them
Hi, Is there a trick to drying seeds, do you dry in the sun, bench or oven?

Maybe I should ask this question in another topic?

Kiwi.relichunter
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I scoop them out into a strainer, was them and pull all the pulp out. Then spread them around so they are able to just air dry. In an airy room or on a sunny window ledge, simple air drying they dry quickly if you mess them around and spread them out again, you can tell when they are totally dry, they all fall easily without sticking, then its into the jar (if they are still a little damp when you put them into the jar they will mould up and thats not good for your bird) :-)

cheers
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

kyooball

Post by kyooball »

Hi. I received an interesting tip on sexing a ringneck yourself using the distance between the pelvic bones. You can read the thread about it on my youtube video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVzRbeKErLY

Good luck with your new baby. Ringnecks are the most beautiful birds :)