temperature

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

johnny123

temperature

Post by johnny123 »

hello
I got my IRN today, he/she is 3weeks old now. I am told to keep it in a shoe box with a 60w lamp. My question is what should the temperature be in the box?
thank you
julie

Re: temperature

Post by julie »

This isnt good advice you have been given :evil: you will need to have a special box with a section that has a cooler end and then the heat source at the other end. The baby needs to be able to move to whichever end it needs, if its too warm in one end the chick can move to the cooler section. I wouldnt recomend putting a heat light in a cardboard box as it will be a fire hazard. where are you located? We can help you turn a few things into a suitable brooder for your baby but we will need to know what you have access to in terms of hardware stores, variety stores petshops ect.
Has the person that you got this baby from given you help with hand feeding this chick?
Kray Twins

Post by Kray Twins »

oh dear oh dear....
You shouldn't be asking these questions after taking ownership of a bird that young.

Please reply soon as you need some advice pretty sharpish.
julie

Post by julie »

its a real shame that breeders are letting them go this young especially letting them go to inexperienced people. all we can do is try to help as much as possible and hope the baby is still alive.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I hope Johnny is just busy setting up and feeding this little baby and thats why there is no answer yet.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

johnny123

Post by johnny123 »

Im located in Bellville, Cape Town. Amon (my baby ringneck) has been with me for almost a week now and everything seems to be going fine.
The box has a cooler and warmer side as I am use to keeping and breeding snakes. The temperature also gets monitored.
I appreciate all your concern and welcome any further advice as I only want the best for Amon
Thanks

PS: I have been doing a lot of research and calling other breeders in my area to assist me.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Johnny

I'm glad all is going well. Good work!

Ellie.
julie

Post by julie »

im so glad everything is going ok :D its good that other breeders are giving you a hand.
what type of snakes do you breed?