7month old IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Christine

7month old IRN

Post by Christine »

I have recently abdopted a 7 month old grey IRN. The breeder clipped his wings 2 weeks ago and he can already fly pretty high. Should they be reclipped or is this typical. Also what can I do to keep him from only wanting his cage. Going thru some bluffingit has improved since he left the breeders but flys waway everythime I try to hold him and heads for his cage. Also was very quiet the first week and voalizations have increased. How do I make sure he does not become a screamer? Thanks for your help
Sangrebloom

Re: 7month old IRN

Post by Sangrebloom »

I just got three myself! I've been keeping them active, feeding them lots of veggies and talking to them. That keeps them occupied and less likely to scream for attention.
pinkdevil

Re: 7month old IRN

Post by pinkdevil »

Unless your bird is going through a moult, he should not be able to gain hight from having the wings clipped already. Maybe the breeder only did a light clip, removing one or two feathers.

If he will take food from your hand, you could try offering food when out of the cage so it encourages him to be with you. Use something he likes and only give it to him from your hand, not at meal times etc. So he will associate the yummy treat and being with you as a good thing.