Howdy!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

SkyesMom

Howdy!

Post by SkyesMom »

Howdy. My name is Dana Lager and my husband and I purchased a blue Indian Ringneck a little over a month ago. He/she is about 4 months old. We named her Skye because of her color (original, I know! :lol: ). And apparently we are already thinking of her as a her, even though we all know we won't know what she is for a while yet. A friend who also has birds showed us how to trim her nails and she said that Skye's pelvis was a "little wider" than her males, so she THINKS it could be a girl. We are being careful not to call her "pretty girl". We tell her she is a "pretty bird" or "pretty Skye".
So far so good. There are days when she seems a bit more nippy than others, but we understand that those are the times that we need to spend a little more quality time with her. Another friend of ours sold us a macaw cage, so she has a huge cage to be in. We do leave the door open during the day and she is free to run about as she pleases.
I actually have hand raised quite a few ducks and geese and have always wanted to get a smaller bird, so we went into a store called The Parrot Perch and there were TONS of birds there. I was actually going to get a sun conure, but the minute the store owner opened up the cage where there were a lot of birds housed, Skye hopped up onto my shoulder. During the course of the visit, Skye hopped up onto my shoulder three separate times. Finally, I looked at her and told my husband, "I guess we are taking this one home with us." Have not regretted the decision for one second. She brings such joy and peace to me. From day one I have felt comfortable letting her ride around on my shoulder. She has never tried to bite my face (knock on wood) and is content to sit quietly as I tend to my daily routine. She leans in for the "kiss kiss" and chirps at me when I am talking to her. She has really taken to my husband, too, so I count ourselves very lucky, especially after reading so many posts where people say their birds don't like their other family members.
We also have a dog and the two of them have figured out how to give the other a wide berth.
We run an in-home daycare and Skye actually gets down on the floor with the children and plays with the toys that they are playing with. We make sure that an adult is in the room while she is down and all the children know to give Skye some space. They all think she is great.
Anyway, that's enough rambling. I'm glad I found this site. It has helped me tremendously so far.
Thank you,
Dana
ellieelectrons

Re: Howdy!

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Dana

Welcome to the forum. That's a lovely story about how Skye selected you. I hope Skye gives you many years of fulfillment.

Ellie
billimacrose

Post by billimacrose »

hello Dana, welcome to the forum!
I'm actually a newcomer too but I think we've found the right site to join
can't wait to see some Skye pictures
ciao
billi
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome to the forum Dana.
I think it was meant to be, Skye choosing your family to live with. It is great when that happens. :)