hello!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

billimacrose

hello!

Post by billimacrose »

hello everybody,
my name's Alberto, I'm 25 and I'm from Italy.
My IRN friend is a 4 months old female (as sold, not sure, just sent the feathers to a lab) whom I call bananabrencia;
let me explain the name
banana because is as big as a banana and brencia is a dialect form for unripe (and since unripened bananas are green... you know)
bananabrencia was not hand rised and is very timid. I've read several forum threads about "wild" IRN as pets, most of them suggest to keep the bird in a cage until he's comfortable with your presence; after that you should start offering fruit from out-of-the-cage and then open the cage and feed it the same way; I'm sorry but I don't agree with this method, even if it gives faster results.
I've transformed my room in an aviary with a plastic grid on the window (wich is actually as big as a door) and perches of several sizes around the room; there's also a rope from a wall to another where she (maybe he) likes to stay, swing and sometimes go upside down.
Every day we play a little game: I offer some sunflower seeds and she begin to fly from place to place, every time closer to me even "touching" me; at first I tought that she was simply scared of me offering seeds but if I stop she whistle to me, and she has started to "ask" for the game whistling e starting little flights around.
We are sharing the same room by a month and she looks very good even if she has never landed on my hand, but its ok, we have time.
Now, I've a little queston for you:
do you think I'm doing wrong? what could I improve?

p.s.: I apologize for the sintax

p.p.s: every comment is welcome
ellieelectrons

Re: hello!

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi billimacrose

I don't think there is a problem with the way you are going about interacting with your bird... however, it is going to be a long, slow process. Clipping her wings will speed up the process but I understand that you may want to keep him/her flighted.

If you introduce him/her to a variety of foods and look to see what he/she goes for first, you could then remove that food from her normal diet and make it that he/she has to come to you to get it.

Good luck!

Ellie.
billimacrose

Post by billimacrose »

hello ellie,

thanks for your answer

I know that is going to be a slow process but I don't mind to wait

She really likes the sunflower seeds, wich I removed from the seeds mixture

Yesterday she was standing on the perch on my desk, I tried to approach (singing and playing the guitar) and stop at every reaction and she let me stay there (15 cm from my face to her) for more than 20 min. then I had to go but it was a really nice moment;

Thanks again for your answer

billi
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

My opinion is, if no harm is being done to the bird, you are willing to take a longer approach to taming, then there is nothing wrong in your choice of method. There are so many different ways of taming that can be used, and this is just another one to add to the list. :)

Another idea is, you could have a plate of food, (fruit etc), and see if she comes down to share what you are eating. I have noticed a trend with ringies, they all LOVE their food and if you something, THEY have to have it to. :lol:

Good luck with her progress and keep us updated.

And welcome to the forum.
ateneoblue

Post by ateneoblue »

ellieelectrons wrote:Hi billimacrose

I don't think there is a problem with the way you are going about interacting with your bird... however, it is going to be a long, slow process. Clipping her wings will speed up the process but I understand that you may want to keep him/her flighted.

If you introduce him/her to a variety of foods and look to see what he/she goes for first, you could then remove that food from her normal diet and make it that he/she has to come to you to get it.

Good luck!

Ellie.
hi,

yeah elie is right... but as long as you are enjoying every bit of moments with your bird... that's all that matters to it..

happy birding,

jake
"GOD IS GREAT"
billimacrose

Post by billimacrose »

pinkdevil wrote: Another idea is, you could have a plate of food, (fruit etc), and see if she comes down to share what you are eating. I have noticed a trend with ringies, they all LOVE their food and if you something, THEY have to have it to. :lol:
And welcome to the forum.
nice idea, I usually give "her" (as always, maybe him) a bowl of different fruit and vegetables in the morning while I eat the remains (of the same fruits) as breakfast; I'll try to use one single plate for both of us, thanks
ateneoblue wrote: as long as you are enjoying every bit of moments with your bird... that's all that matters to it..

happy birding,

jake
and happy birding to you too!

I'll keep you informed of our progress
billi
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

pinkdevil wrote:Another idea is, you could have a plate of food, (fruit etc), and see if she comes down to share what you are eating. I have noticed a trend with ringies, they all LOVE their food and if you something, THEY have to have it to. :lol:

Hahaha! This is so true....! It's a great form of training and trusting for the bird also, for you to share means you can be trusted.
Just as a little test like Pinkdevil says... get a plate of some favourites like apple or grapes and stand next to the cage and make "Mmmm" sound as you eat... and just watch them, they can't resist it! :lol:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

pinkdevil wrote: Another idea is, you could have a plate of food, (fruit etc), and see if she comes down to share what you are eating. I have noticed a trend with ringies, they all LOVE their food and if you something, THEY have to have it to. :lol:
What a great idea! We usually get Janey and Charlie to "go to bed" before we eat because we always end up with a visitor or two if we eat when they are roaming free.

The only other thing that occurred to me about how you are working with your bird is, are you leaving the bird in the room unattended? If so, is it completely bird-proof? Our IRNs love chewing electrical cables and because of this, we don't leave them out of their cage when we go out. I believe that some people manage to train them out of this habit but we haven't been able to... and I'd wonder if they might still do it if no one was watching?

Good luck with the taming process. It is a very rewarding one. Best wishes!

Ellie.
billimacrose

Post by billimacrose »

just a few minutes ago banana climbed on my arm for the first time

she flew away immediately as my housemate knock on the door

but I had to tell it to someone

you

ciao
billi

p.s.: as always... the syntax :roll:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That is great progress with Banana, Billi. :D :D :D Banana is slowly gaining your trust. Patience and love, I believe, will always win.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

That's great! Well done.

Ellie.