my indian ringneck mooney

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

WEBSKIE32

my indian ringneck mooney

Post by WEBSKIE32 »

hi there my name is nathan..i have a indian ringneck...female i think...she is a good bird with lots of affection altho she does like to sometimes bite my hair and pluck at my collar then move to my neck and latch on slowly then increase the pressure...i move my neck away quickly or wolf whistle to ditract her...is this wrong...i have read on here to say no and later reward with a treat...also she does not like me having anything in the way of a towel or her night cover in my hands..she will growl at it...she will step up..take food... sit on one leg on my shoulder and sleep...crawl around to my front if im eating to have some or walk down my arm to get food off me...i have recently started to ignore her when she squeals and it is working its just the neck thing and i feel im whistling and maybe moving my neck away and encouraging her to do it..i give her a stick sometimes and she is content...she is with me all the time but i give her no floor time and when i do she just walks over to me and climbs up...maybe need a play thing perhaps..other than that she will just sit on my shoulder no worries and sleep or clean...also she is not talking but when i say her name or whistle sometime she will let out a few small noises but if left alone with chat away but no clearly enough to know what it is yet..is this a good sign she will talk soon..

thanks for listening and nice to meet you all
pinkdevil

Re: my indian ringneck mooney

Post by pinkdevil »

Nice to meet you to Nathan.

Sounds like a typical ringie to me. :lol: How old is she?
WEBSKIE32

Post by WEBSKIE32 »

hi there to you too...thankyou for the reply

mooney is around 12 months old...we have had a really good day today...i have only had her a month so maybe she is still working me out...she tends to want to hop off my shoulder alot and perch behind me when im on a chair...very happy with her behaviour today as i treated her for stopping when i asked...what would be a good treat for a ringneck...i normally just use some strawberry as a treat..

thanks nathan
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

If you are having success with strawberry then use that. Each ringie has their own fav food and sometimes their favourite treat taste changes. Whatever you do use as a positive reward, only give as a reward, not as part of their daily diet. By only giving as a reward encourages your bird to do as asked so they will get the yummy treat.

Some people use sunflower seeds if not in their diet, or corn, apple even popcorn has worked, but not the candy or salted popcorn.

She seems to have bonded well for only being with you for a short time.
WEBSKIE32

Post by WEBSKIE32 »

thanks for the help...i will keep the strawberry thing happening...she loves her apple pieces each morning...and yes alot have said she has taken to me well...climbs on my head sometimes then back down...always has to be with me...she is gorgeous tho the thought of her nipping is always there but i seem to move my neck and she stops but only does it once or twice a day...sounds like im pretty lucky by the sounds of it all...

once again thankyou and kind regards