New ring neck

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Lucy26

New ring neck

Post by Lucy26 »

Hi I'm Lucy from the UK and I have just bought my first ring neck today. It is 12 weeks old, blue in color but I don't know what sex it is. I'm going to call it a him. I like the name Ringo or has anyone else got any good suggestions? I also own a green Quaker parrot called Tikki who has just become hand tame as he wasn't when I bought him. He has been DNA sexed as a male. They have got a cage each but I'm a bit wary of letting them interact straight the way as I don't know if they will get along. Does anyone know or own a ring neck and Quaker and do they get along?
Thanks everyone
Lucy x :lol:
OliveIrn

Re: New ring neck

Post by OliveIrn »

Hi! First of all congratulations on your new ringneck! Hope you and him have many happy adventures! As for putting the ringneck and and the quaker together, it may not that great of an idea yet. First off, your ringneck has a proportionally large beak and could do much harm to the quaker. Also since your baby ringneck is only 3 months old, he may not have gone through bluffing yet. When he does he will bite just about everything. If you decide to see if they do get along later on, then it would be a good idea to always supervise them when they are next to each other. Hope this helps! :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Lucy, welcome to the forum. :)
julie

Post by julie »

Hi and welcome to the board. It depends on the personality of both birds with regards to them getting along. My boy indie (irn) is very submissive and will run away, Mika my Alexandrian is a little pushy but not aggressive, so they get along and indie has learnt to give him a little touch up when he gets a bit rough. You may find the quaker could be the "aggressor" towards the irn or vice versa or they could both get along with eachother. Just make sure when they are out together that they are supervised, if one tries to have a go at the other firmly say something like (insert a name) knock it off or something similar. I talk to mine like I do with my dogs and they actually pay attention, just make sure someone is in a position to step in if needed.
mickpmc

Post by mickpmc »

I think a good name is Ziggy. I'm new to Ringnecks as well and I'm
getting mine in a couple of months; I'm calling him/her Sprout. In the near future,
I may be getting a cockotiel, I may name it Ziggy. Ziggy and Sprout!

Milo...Boy...Buddy