Hello all, Just got my baby today!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Zoomorphism

Hello all, Just got my baby today!

Post by Zoomorphism »

Hello all,

Just got my baby IRN today, He's four months old and a beautiful blue colour. I was meant to be having a green but the breeder had a blue that someone had ordered and just didn't turn up for so i just had to have him :D

I've named him Horatio, He seems to have settled in quite nicely today. He obviously is quite wary of us going near his cage and flaps and jumps about if you put your hand in. I've tried him with some fruit by poking it through the bars, He sat and looked at it for a bit and ran up and took it when i moved away and happily ate it in his hand :)

I spent the last hour just sat next to the cage reading a book so he gets used to people near his cage and doesn't just assume someone coming up to him means that they're going in his cage (am i right in doing this?)

Anyway! I just thought i'd say hello and try to get some pictures of him tomorrow.

Oz x
pinkdevil

Re: Hello all, Just got my baby today!

Post by pinkdevil »

G'day and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your new baby. :)

Horatio sounds like a real cutie.
Is he hand raised or parent raised?

Sounds like more parent raised or not alot of time spent with him if he is flapping and jumping around his cage when you put your hand in.
Zoomorphism

Post by Zoomorphism »

Hello again!

He seems soooo much better today, think it was just the stress of moving and a new home for him yesterday. He's eating lots already but he really only loves apples at the minute and chinese pears which i think he thinks are apples :P

Other fruits he looks sideways at and is a wary of them, although he has tried Oranges just now. He will take Apple from my hand but moves away from me to eat it. But i think we're doing great from yesterday :)

He had a little fly around this afternoon as i put new toys in his cage. He didn't reeeeally want to come back but i got him in the towel and sat with him for a bit before putting him back away and he happily ate a slice of apple like that.

Just one question, i've put a small dish at the bottom of his cage with some fresh fruit in but he doesn't really seem interested by it, but will quite happily have fruit that you poke in or give to him. Should i get a pot or a dish for the side of the cage or will it just take time for him to get down there and notice it?

here are some picture, i used my phone so the lighting wasnt great:

Thanks again :D

Edit: hmmm added some photos then resized them on photobucket but only one of them seems to be smaller :? Sorry about that.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sweet looking baby. :)

If he is not interested in eating from the bottom of his cage, you could try placing his fruit bowl higher like you asked. Then if you prefer him to eat lower, you could slowly move his dish down little by little until he is used to eating off the bottom.
I prefer to have my guys eating from the higher location as it stops them from soiling their food with their waste. :)
effekt

Post by effekt »

What a cute guy! Congratulations on your new friend! I have 2 four month old blue Ringnecks too ;)

One of mine doesn't like to be handled too well and someone gave some great advice in another thread to get them more comfortable with you.

I started by putting my hand in the cage and slowly moved it toward him until he got too uncomfortable and moved away. I would stop and just leave my hand in there, sometimes saying soothing words. Slowly he would calm down and move back to where he was sitting. Then I slowly move my hand closer until he gets too uncomfortable again.

Do that a few times each day for 5-15 minutes. Slowly he will relax when your hand is near.

Once mine got a bit more comfortable I would hold his favorite vegetable near him. At first he would run away, but I just hold my hand still and very soon he gets curious (he wants the treat!) so he comes over and he reaches as far as he can to get the treat. I did that for about a week and these last few days he doesn't run away when I hold food for him, he rips into it and crunches happily.

He also doesn't totally freak out when I need to pick him up. In the beginning he would make his angry sound and try to nip at my fingers as I'm holding him but now he accepts it. He's not entirely happy being held but he doesn't struggle or freak out either.

Hope that information might help you as much as it helped me!
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family, Horatio off CSI ? hehe how cute and bluey get it Horatio is a red head , oh that may just be an aussie thing calling a redhead bluey, anyway, s/he looks lovely. Give her/him time to settle in, moving to a new home is always very new and stressful, before long s/he will accept you well as the new flock.

Congrats !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless