New IRN mummy

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

CharlieBMummy

New IRN mummy

Post by CharlieBMummy »

Hi all. My name is Lisa, I live is Victoria, Australia

In the last 2 months, i have gotten a baby green (male?)
His name is Charlie B. And he's approx 6 months old.
I did get him from a pet store, despite warnings from some people.

Regardless, I still love him. And wouldn't give him up for anything.
I'm a first time parrot owner. And would like some advice for taming him, and getting him used to being handled, and having my hand occasionally in his cage.

So far, he's become used to me. And i can touch his tail and occasionally his lower back without him trying to bite me. And sometimes if i'm gentle and he's in the mood, i can stroke his beak for a few seconds.
But he doesn't like my dad. or my sister. So i've taken to handing them a treat to give to him every time they visit my unit.
Charlie is starting to take treats off my dad, but still tries to bite.

At the moment, i'm using a garden glove for him to 'Step up'
But eventually i want to transfer to just my hand. How do i do this without blood being spilled.

He has a balanced diet of fresh veggies, fruit and seeds.

Lisa
[/color][/color][/color]
smallworld

Re: New IRN mummy

Post by smallworld »

Hi Lisa and welcome to you and Charlie B!

You might want to take a peek into the behavior section of the forum. Alot of good advise there and alot of people with new birds with similar questions. If you dont find anything, that could help, then we'd love to hear your questions.

About the glove though, I'd say take it off. They do bite and it does hurt but only if they want to bite and hurt you. If he wants to step up for you, then its just a little test bite, or he may cling on to your finger for grip. You cant do anything about that. Over time he might stop the test bites, but occasionally, may still cling on for grip. It wouldnt bleed though. Its not good to encourage him to get used to a glove. Then he might actually find your hand strange.

If you've managed to stroke him on his beak and lower back, you're getting along just fine. About your sister and dad, it may take a little longer. You probably spend most time with him and he probably just trusts you alot more. Takes time for them to get used to you, so let him have his time :)

Good luck!
CharlieBMummy

Post by CharlieBMummy »

Hi, Thanks for the welcome.
The only reason I keep the garden glove on, is I was informed to do so by the shop where I got him from, that it was required in order to handle IRN’s.
But as I also found out earlier this week. That you can’t believe everything you’re told.
Especially in the case of food.
I was lead to believe that apple seeds are toxic to parrots. Therefore I was carefully cutting up apple wedges every time I gave him some fruit.
But I went into a center that breeds and sells any bird from the smallest finch to the largest parrot. And he told me that the whole apple thing was completely false. And it would take a truck load of the apple seeds to cause any problems.

I try and vary his diet as much as possible.
He gets a base of small parrot seeds. Supplemented with fresh veggies like Broccoli, peas, corn, carrot, fruit like apples, orange (seeds removed), grapes, pear, pomegranate.
Fresh nuts like almonds and cashews.

He gets 10 minutes out of his cage as often as I can, to stretch his
Wings. Cause his cage isn’t big. For two reasons. It was the biggest I could afford, and I’m restricted for space.
It’s big enough for a cockatiel or two. Just to give you some idea.

I want to get him a bigger cage down the track, but I also heard that’s a bad idea to change their cage, cause they don’t like change.
He also has a cactus wood perch and a bendable rope one.

Lisa

CharlieBMummy

Re: New IRN mummy/ User Avatar

Post by CharlieBMummy »

How can i apply a photo as my user avatar?

Lisa
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hey,
We dont give our birds apple seeds. I dont know how much it would take to kill a bird but apple seeds (and some other fruit seeds as well, like mangoes), contain cyanide. As you probably know, cyanide in the right dosage could kill a person. I dont really know what the size of an IRNs liver or kidneys are, so I dont want to take the risk.

Its not wrong I guess to feed them apple seeds, as the amount of cyanide in it, is really quite small. I dont know for sure and I dont want to risk cyanide poisoning :)

About your other question, at the upper right corner of this page, you'll see 'user control panel' click it. Then go to profile and I think avatar after that. :)
CharlieBMummy

Post by CharlieBMummy »

Ok, Thanks.
Although this would seem to be going off topic lol.
I got to the user control panel, but it wont let me upload a pic. Only option was to link to a url, so i tried the Facebook link, but that was invalid.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome. :D :D

You need an online photo host like photobucket, imageshack etc, then copy and paste the image link into the signature or avatar panel. :)

Regards to apple seeds, I will not take any chances and remove all seeds just to be safe. :)
CharlieBMummy

Post by CharlieBMummy »

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

You will need to change your privacy settings on FB to allow non friends to view the pic. :)
CharlieBMummy

Post by CharlieBMummy »

CharlieBMummy

Post by CharlieBMummy »

I moved the 'who can view' so hope it works
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Yep, worked this time. :)

Very cute, love the wing stretching one. I am never quick enough to capture those moves.lol
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Doesnt work if you dont have a facebook account..? :|
CharlieBMummy

Post by CharlieBMummy »

Oh ok, whoops lol. But at least the link worked for those that do :)
And yes. I try and get action shots that aren't blurry lol

Lisa
CharlieBMummy

Post by CharlieBMummy »

I put them on flicker. But still cant upload for my avatar

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50973884@N08/4677049128/
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

:D He looks like Echo did when he first came. I like the stretch picture :) We like to call it the ninja stretch because of the intense look, the perfect balance and really cool stretch :lol:
CharlieBMummy

Post by CharlieBMummy »

LoL, Yeah it's one of his good photos

Lisa
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Don 't believe he shop about the glove, they sound like they don't know how to handle birds is all. Welcome to the family. Be brave and just use your hand, I find that the back of the hand is much harder for them to bite and get a hold of than the finger, when they get into nippy moods or around breeding season I use a farely strong and sure back of the hand and a big voice to step up (showing them i am boss and mean what I say) remember voice commands with every action is very necessary, they will know what you are doing soon just by what you say. Step Up, NO!, come, time for bed, treat etc. talk to them about anything and everything you are doing, that way they will learn to talk also.

Apple seeds are out .. no no
Avacado
chocolate
onions
black sunflower seeds are not good (if sunflower seeds at all, get grey striped, less fat)
nothing to play with that may have glue or perfumes on them
cooking with teflon or microwaved popcorn (teflon from inside the bag)

these are the top of the head NO's for your fids.

Cheers and again welcome to the famly
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless