Introduction

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

rosemaryalice

Introduction

Post by rosemaryalice »

Hi! I have many finches and canaries, a lovebird and Turquosine Australian Grass Parakeets. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts. in No. California. My bird room is an enclosed screen porch. All of my birds are in flight cages with Avitemp heat panels on each one and they are against the wall of the house. The cages are big enough to allow flight. They are covered with plastic sheeting in the winter. I am planning to get an Indian Ringneck and plan to house it the same way. I am out there for at least an hour a day and could have my bird out on a playstand for that time. Would this be enough to keep it tame? Also would a flight cage hexagon shaped backed to a wall 36x36x36 wide and 52 inches tall on the inside be enough if the bird is out once a day? We do get snow occasionally but I have gouldian finches and all my birds seem to do fine in winter. I cover them with blankets if it is extremely cold. Would it be better to have a pair if I don't plan to keep it inside all the time? I would prefer to make it a pet if possible. I would appreciate any input. Thx, Rosemary
Joanie

Re: Introduction

Post by Joanie »

hello and welcome! your bird room sounds very nice. i no longer have my ringnecks but i still love them, they are my favorite. so i am still here.
i had a pair that were not tame but they got along very well together and were most entertaining and fun to have. not too noisy either.
your cage sounds like a good sized one for your ringneck.
good luck on finding your new IRN. let us know how you make out.
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

thx for your reply It is a beautiful place for the birds because it is on the side of the house with a very large area of trees and plants that lead down to a reservoir. It is full of birds and that is what my birds look out on. I love to sit out there and listen to all the bird calls, both mine and the wild ones. The screen porch is mosquito proof and rat proofed and predators can't get in to where the birds flight cages are.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Rosemary.

Nice to see another new face here. :)