Hello! New member/new owner

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

chjery

Hello! New member/new owner

Post by chjery »

Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jennifer and I adopted a pair of Ringnecks from another member on your board (Joanie) http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 12&t=10315

We have named the pair Eddy and Ella. They are adjusting very well to our home. We have clipped their wings and in time I would like to tame them both so they not only can be "breeders" but also our pets. :D

I look forward to reading a lot and learning more about this wonderful species. Although I have had them in the past (about 15 years ago) there is always more to learn!

-Jennifer
pinkdevil

Re: Hello! New member/new owner

Post by pinkdevil »

G'day Jennifer.

Congrats on your new babies. :) :)

Like the names you have given them. Hope they settle in quickly for you.
chjery

Post by chjery »

Thanks for the welcome! They are doing wonderfully so far. They have adjusted well to our routine and are ecstatic to come out of their cage to play daily. According to Joan (their former owner) they never had that chance. So far they go in nicely for me with some fresh pellets in their bowl. The doweling will come once they trust me and a stick. :shock: :lol:

Here is a nice picture of them on their first day out of their cage.

And another one.

And one more.

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Nice photos.
Beautiful looking birdies. :)
The hen looks like a shy one in the pics. Great to read they are settling in well.
chjery

Post by chjery »

pinkdevil wrote:Nice photos.
Beautiful looking birdies. :)
The hen looks like a shy one in the pics. Great to read they are settling in well.
She is definitely the shy one!! Eddy will take food and toys out of my hand, she is very stand-off-ish. I was told he was a former pet, turned breeder, by his first owner. I don't think she has ever know anything but a sparse cage in a basement, until Joan got them. She introduced them to normal living in her kitchen with people and dogs and prepared them for life outside the cage with lots of wonderful food and enticing toys!! Now they are here in my home and Ella is really is coming out of her shell.

When she was out tonight I was playing with Eddy, he throws a toy for me to retrieve and accepts it back graciously!! She wasn't running away tonight but was playing away with her toy. We are making great progress!! :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sounds like Ella is coming along nicely. I am sure it won't be too long before she is semi-tame and accepting food from you. :)
It is good that Eddy is showing her that you are friend not foe. At least she is able to see how much fun you and Eddy are having and he is not one bit stressed about your presence.

Ringies are funny little critters. If another bird is eating or playing with something, then they to must have it. I see it sometimes with my aviary birds. One is playing with a stick, the other needs to have it and a tug-o-war sometimes happens. lol
laine

Post by laine »

They look beautiful. Glad you are making some progress.
effekt

Post by effekt »

What a beautiful pair! It looks like they are adjusting very well. IRNs are such intelligent birds, I'm sure they'll both be glad to play with you in no time!