Hello

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

CHARLIE RINGNECK

Hello

Post by CHARLIE RINGNECK »

Hello,

My family and I just purchased a 2 week old indian ringneck parrot. We named him Charlie. I read somewhere that you can't tell the sex of the bird till he or she is 3 years of age, so we picked a universal name.
pinkdevil

Re: Hello

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Charlie Ringneck.

Good idea choosing a name that suits either sex.
You can have your bird sexed either DNA'd or surgical if you don't want to wait the 2-3 years for a ring to show if male. :)

At 2 weeks old, Charlie with be a nakid lil one lol

Are you hand raising Charlie or the breeder doing it for you?
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hey congrats on the new brat :wink:
I'd go with pinkdevils dna suggestion if you really wanna be sure. But sometimes depending on the parents color mutations and the color of the kid you can see by using a genetic calculator, if the kid is male or female.

Echo's parents are lutino male and blue mom (if im not mistaken) and all their green offspring will be male. Hence our greenie is a boy :)
CHARLIE RINGNECK

Post by CHARLIE RINGNECK »

Pinkdevil: I'm hand raising him, for the comfort of him growing up to love us and let us hold and play with him. We call him Charlie Boy, but its really no big deal, as long as he or she grows up healthy its fine with me!!!

smallworld: What is a genetic calculator?

We are starting to see little hair like things growing!!! ("must be feathers")lol
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sounds like Charlie is begining to get pin feathers. :D
Feels a bit like sandpaper to the touch. Skin will also take on a '5 o'clock shadow' appearance where the feathers are coming through.

Genetic calculator is an online calculator that gives you the colour and sex results when parentage colours and splits, (if any) are punched into it.

There is a link to it on another thread. :)
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the forum and the family to you and little charlie bird.

Sounds like you have your hands full, two weeks is very young and a very delicate stage. Have you handraised before ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless