Hello we are new

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

beecroft149

Hello we are new

Post by beecroft149 »

Hi am from lancashire ,england. Am married and mum of two. Have always wanted a bird and in sep last year was visiting our local pet shop and there was she was in a small cage quite high up on a shelf. After enquiring about her found out she was a blue irn 2years old. I fell in love with her streigt away but was told she would be challenging as was 2years old and not been handled ( basicaly compleatley wild ). We are big supporters of our local football team Burnley who are know as the clarets as they have a claret and blue uniform. We decided Claret would be a fitting name as she has blue feathers and a Claret beak. We bought her a nice big blue cage and at first she would not let us come within 2 foot of the cage. Now six months on i let her out every evening for a few hours and she has started to take grapes and peanuts in shells ( her favourite ) from me but still wont be held. She will have a flutter around the room but stays at a safe distance. I can safely clean her cage and change her food and water without her pannicking about it. We hae made slow progress but progress none the less that is encouraging and am hopeing to find some guidance on this site to make sure we are caring for her properly and taking the next step to handeling her. Am not sure if we wil be able to get her talking she does make a whistle in the same tune as when we say " cheeky girl " to her but not any words. Am looking forward to any advice on our circumstances.
Last edited by beecroft149 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leeroy

Re: Hello we are new

Post by Leeroy »

Hey there,
Congratulations on finding this site. Found it a little while ago, and it has helped me alot with the training of my bird.
So I am sure you will benefit from the site aswell!

My girlfriends parents bought a cockatiel from a pet shop, it hadn't been hand reared of anything.
She started playing everyday with the bird. She wore like a bmx/motocross glove, and just picked it up
and gave it treats. If it sat on her hand, she would treat him. Everytime it did something right, she would treat him.
And now steps up and we can scratch him without the glove. This was all in a few weeks.
I hope i'm sending you in the right direction. just reward him everytime he does something right.
And i have been told not to pull away when he goes to bite. He musn't think your scared of him.
Plenty of other people here can help you more then I can, thought i'd add my 2cents worth.

Good luck! and upload some pictures :):)
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Welcome! i love the blues, mine are greys. mine are not tame either and about the same age.
i just want a baby from them so i can raise it.
glad you found us. its kinda quiet here at times but we are always here..............
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

hey,

Welcome! Really enjoyed reading some info about your ringneck. She really did find a great home--i am not kidding :P ! Sounds like you are off to a really great start. Ringnecks are such fantastic little creatures and everyone of them is different.

I very much enjoyed reading about how you are slowly working on taming your ringneck--BRAVO! You have many years w/ her...so no need to rush things. Welcome to our little site on the web. We have many wonderful people here that are glad to help you.

Can't wait to hear more about your little female ringneck!

Best wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hiya beecroft149, welcome :)

Love the name Claret. Sounds perfect for her.

Sounds like you have made great progress with her already as 6 months is not a long time when you consider how long they live for.

Looking forward to hearing Clarets adventures as you and her become great friends! :)
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hi & welcome :)
:lol: what Joanie said in her last line made me laugh! 'we're always here...' Sounds so x-files :lol:
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family and the forum .. Sounds like you are doing the right things, slow and steady wins the race with these birds. Trust takes time and eventually you will become her flock, so just keep doing what you are doing, try to interact more all the time and time will reward you :-)
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless