Kiki's Behavior - BREEDING SEASON!!!

Moderator: Mods

indian ringneck

Kiki's Behavior - BREEDING SEASON!!!

Post by indian ringneck »

Kiki is 2&1/2 years old. She'll be 3 in May 24. Indian Ringnecks mature at age 3 and February is parrot breeding season. 3 days ago, Kiki has started screaming violently and makes me these 'love' noises. She also can't stop kissing me all the time and this morning she regurgitated her tea(favorite food) on me to show well.....'love'! I don't think I recieved the message that way, but it just shows what she thinks of the breeding season! Every time I leave the room without her on my shoulder she'll scream until I pick her up and when I talk with someone, she'll scream and kiss me trying to tell me "You're my mate, not their's now pay attention to me!". (SIGH).....I don't know what i'm going to do. She is totally 'bonded' to me I guess. Have any of you experienced this behavior before and what did you do? I've posted this in http://www.parrotalk.com/forum too and all the members there who have had such experience agree that she is actually courting me.
Jodie

questions

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
Well, actually, hens are "mature" at two. February is the start of one breeding season primarily for birds housed outside. I have a pair that are on the flip side and go to nest in August. With her regurgitating food on you it is a sign of her love. It is supposed to be a real compliment. These "love" noises, does her cock her head back and dilate her pupils? Not to burst your bubble, I have three hens that do this to me when I am changing food and water while I talk to them. I have only had these birds since October. My conure was the same for a while minus the regurgitated food. She would squack and squack until I picked her up. When we had company, she would sqauk for me to come get her to see who was there. She was the center of the universe. She was just plain spoiled. But I am guilty of allowing her to swack and there I appear. It is kinda like a child accidently hitting something on the floor and see that his or her parent picks it up. Then the baby purposely knocks it on the floor and the parent picks it up and so the entertainment begins for the baby. Same scenerio for our birds. My suggestion is to stick your head in her room and say not now Kiki. My birds go on and on until I either get to the outside of their door or I say quit it. Birds are very smart. I do not think Kiki is courting you, I just think you have just spoiled her. Which is not a bad thing, but I think she is running the show. I have to remind you that you are the one that is supposed to be in charge. If her tantrums still are unbearable, I would suggest a mild form of discipline. I use a water mister/squirter. Some people use this anyways to mist birds for preening, but my birds have big tupperware container birdbaths. Anyways, I would spray Kiki and say no when she is misbehaving. I would first start off with the popping your head in to recognize her calling you, but say no, not now. Let us know how it works out. Hope this helps!
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

Thank you for the tips. We did try squirting her once though, and she didn't want to come off her cage for 1/2 hour or so. We reserved to ourseleves not to squirt her again.