Missing feathers

Moderator: Mods

Maria94

Missing feathers

Post by Maria94 »

Hi, I recently brought home my baby hand reared IRN a couple days ago. He is roughly 10 weeks old and I noticed that he has a large patch of missing feathers near his crop (under the neck and top of chest). He is eating normally (as in eating anything we give to him), his droppings are normal and he is drinking. I was wondering if I should be worried as the breeder I got him from didn't look too concerned about it.
Maria94

Re: Missing feathers

Post by Maria94 »

I just contacted the guy I got him from and he said that I should not worry as it's just from when he was hand feeding him. He said the formula dripped and the feathers should grow back in about a month. Does this sound accurate?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Just moved this to the breeders section as I think they will be best placed to answer your question.

Ellie.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

yours might be younger than 10weeks- are the eyes of a light bluish colour yet?

the crop patch is the last to feather- these were exactly 7 weeks old for your comparison:
Maria94

Post by Maria94 »

His feathers are similar to that, but it's missing them drum under his chin to the top of the crop. So when his head is down you can see it. He may be younger than that then. So do you think it's something I should worry about?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

could you post a pic?
Maria94

Post by Maria94 »

I have to wait until I'm on my laptop. But he has a patch under his beak missing which I don't think he plucked. And the breeder said it was due to the formula as all his brothers and sisters were fine and it will grow back in a month.