After i feed my irn formula he still cries

Moderator: Mods

Cormacity

After i feed my irn formula he still cries

Post by Cormacity »

Hi all i have a 3 week old indian ringneck i feed him 15cc of formula every 4hrs but after every feed he still cries for more food what should i do ? Can i change the formula for him and use a new one ? I dont want him to still stay hungry and im new to this can someone help me pls?
I have a pic of baby lilly here

Thanks
Luke
Skyes_crew

Re: After i feed my irn formula he still cries

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hello:)

Welcome to the forum. Baby birds will cry for reasons other than food. The surest way to tell if he's still hungry is to check his feeding reflex. Gently tap the corner of his beak. If his mouth pops open he may still be hungry. Also place a finger on either side of his beak. If he head bobs its also a sign of hunger. Most likely though, if his crop is full, he has other needs that may need to be met. He may be cold, he may be lonely. I place a small stuffed animal in the box with my little one. I also hold him and speak softly to him. I tuck him under my chin where it's warm. You can try placing a heating pad on low under his box for added warmth. Try playing some soft music for him. Put him in a darker corner of the room. If all else fails, he will eventually fall asleep. I wouldn't over feed though. Stick to a schedule. If his crop isn't emptying between feedings he could get slow crop or impacted crop. What does his crop look like after a feeding?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Cormacity

Post by Cormacity »

Hi thanks for the reply after feeding i usually play with him and then place him in another quite room and he evantually sleeps and starts crying four hrs later when he know he is ready for food again his crop is filled when i feed him and nearly empties after 4-5 hrs i dont usually force the food and he swallows all of it in just a couple of seconds and make me laugh how hungry he was :) right now i feed him 4times a day and sometimes every 5 hrs , as he is 3-4 weeks old he has grown some feathers right now but still have his head to grow with feathers , do i cut down the feeding time as i live in malta and its hot right know ? And he is getting older Should i give him a millet spray to play with cos sometimes i see him nibble on the wood shavings he has in the box ? And i have a friend he says he feeds his irn 15cc formula and give him 10cc of water is this good or not ? Should i just leave hime on the formula ? Oh and one other thing to ask i was giving him a formula brouth from the pet shop can i vhange the formula brand ?

Thanks for the help

Luke
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Water is a big no!! The formula contains all of the water he needs right now. Baby birds can drown easily if you try to feed them water through a dropper. At the extreme if its really hot there, let a few drops of water slide off your fingertips into his beak between feedings. But it's usually not necessary to introduce water until after weaning.

You can try to introduce some seeds at this point. Spread them on a flat service and let him explore and forage for them. You can also mash some banana and see if he will take it from your fingertips. He may not show interest until around 5 weeks though. As for the formula, you can change him, but you will have to mix the two formulas at first. Start with a 1/1 ratio and slowly decrease the old and increase the new. At his age, I would keep the 4 feedings unless the heat is slowing down his crop. His last feeding should be around midnight. At around 5 weeks you can drop to three feedings. He will at that point be able to take mashed fruit and veggies. Feed these right after a formula feed. At around 6 weeks, add the chunks of veggies and fruit into his formula and let him eat from a spoon. The very last feeding that should be dropped is the night feeding. Even after your baby is weaned, while he's still getting the hang of eating on his own, I would keep that night feeding so you know he's getting the calories he needs. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything :)

Melissa

Cormacity

Post by Cormacity »

thanks melissa that helped alot i will try a millet spray tomorrow and see what he will do , do i put a toy in his box so he can play with it and what kind ? stuffed toy or plastic?

thanks once again luke
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I use the stuffed animal as a companion for my baby so he's not lonely. I also have wood beads, wood blocks, and small vine balls in there for him to use as foot toys. At first they are really clumsy so these toys teach them to use their feet more confidently. I would also put a small perch and lay it directly in the bedding. You will find him perching on it. This prepares them for perching when older. :)

Melissa

Cormacity

Post by Cormacity »

Thanks mel

And when do i allow him to his cage ?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

When you notice him perching and his activity level and play time has increased you can think about moving him. I use a travel cage with the grate removed on the bottom. I filled it with shavings to mimic his box. I placed the perch on the lowest bar so if he fell it wouldn't be too far. Once he can climb the sides and perch well, he can go in to his regular cage. I think moving him in stages is very helpful in keeping him from getting scared over a new large unfamiliar space. :)

Cormacity

Post by Cormacity »

thanks for helping me alot im new to this and really needed some help thanks for giving me all the tips.:)
i gave him a millet spray today and noticed he had nibbled it i thinks thats a good start

thanks alot

luke :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

You're very welcome :D