leg bands.

Moderator: Mods

soozy

leg bands.

Post by soozy »

hi, i,ve just joined , and i have a question .we have just adopted an irn its 3+??? . my question is we have no info on him ,but i understand you can find this out by his leg band , does anyone know how to read them?? ,we have managed to get the info from his band but cant find any thing on the net about it . hope someone can help thanx in advance soozy n paul . :roll:
mikeb

Re: leg bands.

Post by mikeb »

most bands in the US have the breeders or aviary initials followed by the state their in, the year of hatch, and then the number of the bird
soozy

Post by soozy »

hi mikeb , thanks for the info looks like my irn is 10years old , only had him aweek ,he may be abit of a challange to tame him but am up for it :D soozy.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, keep me posted! My IRN is about 11. I have that info from the family of his first (?) owner. His band does not show the year. But it has been phenomenal keeping him, He has learned so much about himself.

-MissK
-MissK
babygirl

Post by babygirl »

anyone know if that's the same in Australia? I was told that there is not way to track the breeders or any info using the leg bands. id be very interested to find out more on a few of my birds if you can.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I wish you luck with that. It's actually not the case in USA all the time, either. For instance, Rocky's band has the state where he was hatched (Utah, 3/4 of the way across the country from me) and the breeder's code (two letters and an & symbol). There are some other numbers which, presumably, correspond to his records with the original breeder, but good luck finding out who they are.

In order to get useable information out of this band, I would have to contact leg band makers across the county and discover if any of them has the breeder's code on file. From there, I would hope they still had valid contact information for that breeder. If I could contact the breeder, I would then have to hope they kept good records and could access them, and that they would be willing to tell me what I wanted to know.

Since I have a reliable report on the bird's age, and I do not want to breed him, all that is more work than I want to do. I would like to know his hatch date so I can be a silly human and celebrate the day. It's not that important - we are celebrating the date of his arrival in my home instead. I would like to know how he was raised - by parents in an aviary, totally by humans, or something in between. That, too, doesn't matter in the long run. I just would like to know. I am also interested in how a little bird winds up in Pennsylvania, where he was when I got him, from Utah. At the time the family bought him, he was starting, but not finished, his neck ring. From this information we can pin down a ballpark figure of his age - within a year I think, and it's not critical information. But he has at least a year and a half, maybe two and a half, of life history that is not accounted for, and I'd love to know what it was.

I wish you the best of luck tracking down your leg band information!
-MissK
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi, Here is a link that has some info on leg bands. Hope this help you all.

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/reading- ... -leg-band/

Kiwi has a leg band but I still have to find out whats written on it. I would really like to know his age and how he was raised, hand or aviary.

Ash