Need help with new bub.

Moderator: Mods

Miss_Original

Need help with new bub.

Post by Miss_Original »

i picked up my new baby ringneck yesterday as the breeder told me he was ready to go and only on 1 feed a day. i took him for his vet check and the vet says he would be lucky to be 6 weeks and is still needing to be fed 3 -4 times daily. I contacted the breeder and she wants nothing more to do with this little guy/girl. im happy to feed him every few hours but he doesnt beg for food even when his crop is empty i have to force him to eat and he seems terrified of me. The poor little thing shakes constantly whenever i handle him. is there something i can do to encourage him to want to eat?? i have a feeling this bird is straight from the nest and hasnt actually had any human interaction before. other than that the vet says he is healthy. i just wanna do whats best for the bird. any help would be very much appreciated.
julie

Re: Need help with new bub.

Post by julie »

try touching the sides of his beak with your finger on one side and thump on the other,coming from above him and simulate the mother touching his beak. Then see if he wants a feed. If you have some baby food like stewed apples,it needs to be warmed to formula temp still.
With him being scared try holding him close to you and comfort him like a mother so he feels safe.
julie

Re: Need help with new bub.

Post by julie »

It really annoys me that his breeder doesnt want to help,some people only care about the money and not the birds. We put so much time and effort into breeding and raising our babies that we really like for people with our birds to come to us for help.