Wet birdies!

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

Wet birdies!

Post by SkyBaby »

Sorry about the flood of posts. Hope I'm not annoying ya'all.

I have yet to post pics of wet birdies. Here they are. Ani didn't seem to enjoy his first shower, but I had to drench him/her cuz he got watermelon stuff all over him when he took a flying leap and landed in the watermelon bowl. I didn't want it drying hard on his feathers, so a bath was needed. I wish I had my camera. That was so funny.

Skye finally seems to enjoy his showers too. It took a while to get him there. The first time i actually saw Skye begging for a shower when I took him in with me was only a month ago. He had his wings open and was leaning in the direction of the water. Then I held it in front of him and he got right in.

Now Skye and the new baby are resting. They're so sweet.

Here are those wet birdie pics I promised:

Starting with Skye. He didn't get as wet as the baby did, but he did still seem to have lots of fun.

The drenched and now very clean Ani. He doesn't look too happy I think. I'm gonna let him find the joys of bathing on his own from now on, unless he lands in his food again.

I so need a couple of shower perches. That way Skye and Ani can get as wet as they want to.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Oh, don't wrry about the flood, i think i am worse. :)
BirdNinja

Re: Wet birdies!

Post by BirdNinja »

SkyBaby wrote:Sorry about the flood of posts. Hope I'm not annoying ya'all.

"blah blah blah" edited for brevity

I so need a couple of shower perches. That way Skye and Ani can get as wet as they want to.
This is a horribly cruel way to treat those birds! why would you get them wet like that??
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

BirdNinja wrote:

This is a horribly cruel way to treat those birds! why would you get them wet like that??
Parrots bathe in the wild under rainfall. The best way to emulate this is to hold a shower head above and a little in front of them to let them get wet on their own terms.

Skye loves bathing so he gets under the water by himself. The new baby doesn't. Just so you know, I don't generally force a bird to bathe unless there's goop all over his feathers and I'm afraid of it drying hard. I had to carefully hold him under the flow of water myself for a few seconds because he took a flying leap and landed in their watermelon bowl. I didn't want watermelon goop drying hard on his/her feathers. That would really be bad.

Try it with your birds. I'm sure they'd love it. If they're a bit scared, you can start with simply leaving a shallow dish (a small saucer works well for the smaller birds) in the bottom of the cage or near their play gym. That's how Skye discovered that bathing is fun.

Thanks for your concern though. :)
BirdNinja

Post by BirdNinja »

SkyBaby wrote:
BirdNinja wrote:

Parrots bathe in the wild under rainfall. The best way to emulate this is to hold a shower head above and a little in front of them to let them get wet on their own terms.

Skye loves bathing so he gets under the water by himself. The new baby doesn't. Just so you know, I don't generally force a bird to bathe unless there's goop all over his feathers and I'm afraid of it drying hard. I had to carefully hold him under the flow of water myself for a few seconds because he took a flying leap and landed in their watermelon bowl. I didn't want watermelon goop drying hard on his/her feathers. That would really be bad.

Try it with your birds. I'm sure they'd love it. If they're a bit scared, you can start with simply leaving a shallow dish (a small saucer works well for the smaller birds) in the bottom of the cage or near their play gym. That's how Skye discovered that bathing is fun.

Those images looked as if you were dunking them in the water with the intent of drowning them. I dont really see the sense in essentially "waterboarding" your birds
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

BirdNinja wrote:
SkyBaby wrote:
BirdNinja wrote: This is a horribly cruel way to treat those birds! why would you get them wet like that??

Those images looked as if you were dunking them in the water with the intent of drowning them. I dont really see the sense in essentially "waterboarding" your birds
Please do some research then. :)
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

BirdNinja wrote:

Hey man, who the hell are you? What the ??? is a BirdNinja :?
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

U.S Marine wrote:
BirdNinja wrote:

No kidding....
I think most people are here because they love birds and enjoy stories and sharing/helping others. :D

Birds are not tortured by bathing them. We bath cats and dogs and they by nature do not bath in water daily as birds in the wild do. I like the idea of getting them use to the water we have available in our homes. My guy gets just as wet in his water bowl but gets everything wet in the process. But I know if he tried a shower or a bigger pool he would enjoy it. It is a good idea to introduce them and show them it is good because in our homes they do not have rain and waterfalls... Shower and sinks is as close as they are gonna get.

Funny how a simple couple of cute wet birds can get different reactions like that...I am surprised. :shock:
That is why I like this forum.
Every now and then you hear someone with a different perspective.
Even though it is quite clear to me that everyone here is kind and loving to their birds and goes out of their way to provide the best for them. These are some spoiled birdies here, all of them.. :)
Allie
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

CalamariBaby wrote:
U.S Marine wrote:
BirdNinja wrote: This is a horribly cruel way to treat those birds! why would you get them wet like that??
No kidding....
I think most people are here because they love birds and enjoy stories and sharing/helping others. :D

Birds are not tortured by bathing them. We bath cats and dogs and they by nature do not bath in water daily as birds in the wild do. I like the idea of getting them use to the water we have available in our homes. My guy gets just as wet in his water bowl but gets everything wet in the process. But I know if he tried a shower or a bigger pool he would enjoy it. It is a good idea to introduce them and show them it is good because in our homes they do not have rain and waterfalls... Shower and sinks is as close as they are gonna get.

Funny how a simple couple of cute wet birds can get different reactions like that...I am surprised. :shock:
That is why I like this forum.
Every now and then you hear someone with a different perspective.
Even though it is quite clear to me that everyone here is kind and loving to their birds and goes out of their way to provide the best for them. These are some spoiled birdies here, all of them.. :)
Amen to that! :D
TD

Post by TD »

I think the pics are awesome. Nothing cruel about them at all. Ringnecks adore a good shower!
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

TD wrote:I think the pics are awesome. Nothing cruel about them at all. Ringnecks adore a good shower!
Hehe thanks. Skye sure likes them. My little yellow guy.. not so much. :D
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

How warm was the shower, or was it sorta cold?
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

U.S Marine wrote:How warm was the shower, or was it sorta cold?
It was pretty warm. I'm not a very good judge of exact temperature though. :D It was as warm as it normally is when Skye likes to get in. It wasn't too hot. It definitely wasn't at all cold either.
bec

Post by bec »

SkyBaby wrote:
TD wrote:I think the pics are awesome. Nothing cruel about them at all. Ringnecks adore a good shower!
i had a similar thing with my birds we dont used the shower as the bathroom is in the cats end of the house but riku loves!!!!!!!! any form of getting wet after bathing in his water bowl he likes to be sqirted with a water bottle he likes to stand on the perch with his wings spread & i direct the flow straight at him when his fronts done he turns for his back
kieron however thought that was just insane!!!!!!!! :shock: so i gave up on trying to bath kieron till one day i noticed as riku was getting his squirts kieron was slowly inching along the perch till he got under riku so the drops were falling gently on him like a very light rain once i figured this out i could get kieron to bath every day if i wished
now all my birds have bathing rituals of sorts exept for the budgies but as riusaki is at least 14 years old im too scared to try new things with him im scared of what would happen if something shocked him
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

bec wrote:
SkyBaby wrote:
i had a similar thing with my birds we dont used the shower as the bathroom is in the cats end of the house but riku loves!!!!!!!! any form of getting wet after bathing in his water bowl he likes to be sqirted with a water bottle he likes to stand on the perch with his wings spread & i direct the flow straight at him when his fronts done he turns for his back
kieron however thought that was just insane!!!!!!!! :shock: so i gave up on trying to bath kieron till one day i noticed as riku was getting his squirts kieron was slowly inching along the perch till he got under riku so the drops were falling gently on him like a very light rain once i figured this out i could get kieron to bath every day if i wished
now all my birds have bathing rituals of sorts exept for the budgies but as riusaki is at least 14 years old im too scared to try new things with him im scared of what would happen if something shocked him
Hi Bec, what is kieron holding in the picture. :D
bec

Post by bec »

apple i do believe its a golden delicous but as long as its apple kierons not fussed on the kind
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

So glad to hear you are looking after your fids well Skybaby. Glad you got the nasty STICKY watermelon off your baby. :wink:

Birds getting a shower or bath is such a very important thing, and when they are "pets" I reckon sometimes they forget to do it for themselves, as we do everything for them. We cannot rely on their natural instincts anymore and assume they will just do it when they need it.

I have been through days when my IRN's were sweltering through summer heat, they had plenty of water to bath in but just didn't do it. It came time for me to water them regularly and I used the garden hose.

Gotta do what ya gotta do to keep them healthy and safe.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

P.S. Welcome to the family BirdNinja and fids ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

After I saw your WET BIRDIE pics I decided to let Zazu go to the shower for his first time. I just let him stand on the shower rod and then dribbled some water over his back. He seemed to like it. So a couple more times then finally turned the water cool and low and put him under the rain. He LOVES it and I can't even go into the bathroom without him trying to follow me.
Allie
julie

Post by julie »

BirdNinja wrote:

I must be the worst bird owner ever, My aviary birds and inside birds all love a play in the sprinkler and jump into their water bowls for a swim just like little ducks. They get a fair bit wetter than that too.
Great pics by the way.

and U.S Marine im going to smack your fingers, tsk tsk.
jennamarie

Post by jennamarie »

my IRN loves getting wet i've not tried him in the shower yet but he loves being sprayed and being drenched haha if i stop she screams hahaha
My Bird is my Best Friend !!
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

mine will start fiddling in his water bowl at times so Ill put him in the sink with running water or take him in the shower with me and he gets soaked! He lifts his wings to get wet under his arms, rubs his head all over my wet hands and just has a blast!

Im going to try and have my hubby take pics of him next time while Im in the shower with the fid, because its so cute with his wings all spread out, just soaking up the fun! He even drinks the water while showering.
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09