bluey

Moderator: Mods

groovey_jem

bluey

Post by groovey_jem »

here is a few piccies of bluey while out again ... in some of the pics you can see how is tail feathers are missing bless .... please excuse me in pic :oops:

U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

lols..i feel you, my birds tail feathers are
horrible looking. Don't worry blueys tail
will grow back, i am still waiting for mines!
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

will they lose there tail feathers every molt ??? cos bluey lost hers when we brought her home and there just growing back
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I don't know i just got my first ring neck before chritsmas
but they will grow back. It will take months..
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

groovey_jem wrote:will they lose there tail feathers every molt ??? cos bluey lost hers when we brought her home and there just growing back
yes....bluey's tail feathers will grow back when she goes through her next molt. This is only once a year.... the molt. After the breeding season. :P
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Skye is half duck-butt. I was scared and asked a vet about it and he said young parrots don't know how to care for their tails and wont learn how to until they're a couple years old.
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

SkyBaby wrote:Skye is half duck-butt. I was scared and asked a vet about it and he said young parrots don't know how to care for their tails and wont learn how to until they're a couple years old.
would you say bluey is still young at the moment ?? cos bluey has just started sorted her feathers out but doesnt touch the tail feathers even when there hanging off and look broke s/he never touches them :S or is this normal

and thank you all for replies :D
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

groovey_jem wrote:
SkyBaby wrote:Skye is half duck-butt. I was scared and asked a vet about it and he said young parrots don't know how to care for their tails and wont learn how to until they're a couple years old.
would you say bluey is still young at the moment ?? cos bluey has just started sorted her feathers out but doesnt touch the tail feathers even when there hanging off and look broke s/he never touches them :S or is this normal

and thank you all for replies :D
Yup it's entirely normal. Just make sure Bluey gets access to a cuttle bone for calcium. I have one in Skye's cage right now. Bluey still looks quite young indeed. I can't see your pictures anymore, but I'd say he's only about 4 months old. Skye is a year old and still half duck-butt. :D They'll regrow. Another thing you could make sure is that toys and perches aren't over crowded in the cage. Sometimes that messes up the tail feathers. I give Skye baths every couple days and that seems to help too. He has only just started preening his feathers and removing broken feathers. Don't worry about it, it is in fact normal. :)
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Yea, my bird has a tail feather that is just hanging
down like what the ?? I could get you a picture, but
don't worry i feel the same as you..i want to see my
bird in full condition! :lol:
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

oh wow so young :? we got told that they was from last years babies and then someone else has said shes full mature .. which i believe ring necks are mature at the age of 2 years ?? .... i think the only way to find out for sure is for a dna test ... ive read on the internet about company where you send off a couple of feathers in the post and they will send you the results ... is this advisable ???

my other half has been having a move around with our photo bucket so all piccies have been lost .... i have included my link for my photobucket there is a few pics on there if anyone would like a look but i promise i will update later as i carnt stop long as iam off out soon

http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57 ... 008/bluey/

but i couldnt resist sharing this gorgeous piccie with you all :D

U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Dna testing sucks, you can do it but to me
it is off limits. I thought the easiest way was
from feathers until i read i have to pluck them
from the bird myself.