My youngest boy is growing up fast ..*UPDATED

Moderator: Mods

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

My youngest boy is growing up fast ..*UPDATED

Post by kyria »

My baby (handraised by me) minikin Pickle is growing up and showing his colours. Just a week ago he looked like this:-

yesterday he looked like this;

today just one day later, as it does, the ring is appearing as if by magic;

My third male of my four beautiful ringies. Kai our blue, Jordan our latino and pickle our green. Can't wait to see his full ring, with all the colours of the other two combined. :D
Last edited by kyria on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

*Jaw drops* There he is! Minikin Pickle has grown up!!! What a handsome little man he is with his sexy new man feathers coming through! My gosh, time flys! :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
leo

Post by leo »

whaaaa......how come within 1 week, so many pin feather on the face?
did he drop alot of feather on the face before the 1st picture?
does not look like he did to me...hehe...

hoe old is pickle by the way?
is it molting season?
here, almost all bird i saw are molting and tango cage start to be filled with the soft white feather and the yellow feahter

thanks alot for sharing.........
i hope tango is a boy
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Fah

Post by Fah »

Males tend to hit the head moult far more than hens, due to the fact the hormones are pushing a massive change in colouring. Moults can and do come on quite quickly.

Great pics of the little guy, i love watching birds go through their adult change.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Pickle was 2 years this september or so just gone. All the birds had been molting for a while but not noticeably except for lots of feathers flying about, it was only the last 2 weeks that they began the hard head molt and started dropping long flight feathers. They all have their new flights and their flight back, but I will wait until the molt is over and they have had some fun flying around before I clip them again. Do that every time they grow flight back.

:D
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

ryelle

Post by ryelle »

aww i'm glad its not only my boy that rushed to show everyone he was actually a boy haha! i think he heard us questioning wether he was a girl or not. I think my fid grew his ring in over a week and a half? Theres pics around this site somewhere to confirm it...
leo

Post by leo »

your avatar was like soo nice...
like you have a new bird if put the 2 pic together... :lol:
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
leo

Post by leo »

Pickle was 2 years this september or so just gone. All the birds had been molting for a while but not noticeably except for lots of feathers flying about

tango is just 16 (edited)month old...i guess i have to wait for another 6 months?
Last edited by leo on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

my fid was 2years around June and he moulted his ring in in July
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Well My lutino jordan got his ring in at 17 months, but the blue and green were both just over two years. So you have more like a year and a half to wait yet darlin.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Rami

Post by Rami »

:O
How beautiful!
Amazing!

Mine, has a year and two months. I can't wait! He/she looks like yours in the first picture.
Wish he/she is a male! I prefer :D
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

aww so cute! I love the progressive before and after type shots. Did you notice a light grey ring (different than the females) right before his ring came in? My Sky has one of those. I'm trying to figure out what it means. I think he's only 8 months old or so (but that's gotta be wrong) who knows. :D Your baby is turning into quite the looker. all them cute, itchy pin feathers.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

When I was first learning about IRN's many years ago. I was at a breeders, thinking I knew about males and their rings. I walked up to an aviary and said .. ah that bird over there with the darkish ring starting around its neck, thats a young male pre-ring huh ? ... lol ... the breeder said .. ah no! thats one of my best breeding females. Next aviary same thing, very prominant dark shadow, looking very much like a ring, again I was told that was another of his breeding females.

As far as I have seen there is no real hint ring wise until that definate spot of dark black or red begins that is totally and unquestionably the ring coming in. It will be like someone dotted a big spot with a permanent marker or something in one spot (in the neck area).

Pickle did a body molt first, a few weeks later he broke into a severe head molt. Thats when I saw the new feathers coming in with black spots, now the red is nearly fully in and the most beautiful pale blue colouring beaming out around it all, just like in the image at the top of the site.

I thought Kai (my blue) and Jordan (my lutino) were beautiful and they are, but there is nothing like the ring of the original green, just awesome, with all the colours of the others.

Just be patient and enjoy your fid, teach and play and have fun .. If a ring comes then woohooo, if not, no matter, you own one of the most amazing, beautiful and enjoyable birds there are to own as pets. A bird with real spunk and character. If it were easy to tame and own a ringneck, what reward would there be in achieving what we all have here, glorious, spritely, intelligent and extremely fun birds.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

leo

Post by leo »

tango have an obvious white ring near the beak....anyway...he is going through body molt and it drop atleast 3 feather everyday, usually when he is flying...anyway...these 3 days, his face feather keep falling, especially when he skretch the face with the nail...3-5 feahte will frop at once..small little yellow feahter is everywhere too...but the face did not change at all, still look thich with feather...

yup kyra...i still love her regardless of gender...

she is a very sweet bird now...alwasy fly to me and will chatter in my ears...

she cant talk properly, just a chatter, but somehow, i rather she chater, she sounded real cute... :lol:
leo

Post by leo »

hi kyra...can post the pic of the pickle?
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Gonna grab the camera and take an updated pic of him for you after dinner. :wink: I have a few from last week aswell to show you the progress
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

A week or so after the first pics I posted

approx. 10 days later (today about 10 min ago)

Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

leo

Post by leo »

waaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww....
so nice !!!!!!!!

tango now have very little feather on the head...keep dropping...

especially the head and wing feahter...

there are 1 big bald patch on the head..not sure when those feather growing back...the wing start to grow already as i can feel the pin feather
leo

Post by leo »

hi...guys

wana ask something...u mentioned some of your fids grow the ring over 2 year which mean over 24 month right?

but do they have a big molt at the age of about 17 month ?
tango now is 17 month and having a bad molt...alot of bald patch on the head...alot of pin feahrter...but the red feahter is nowere to be seen...

is there still any chances that he will grow the ring?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Hi Leo, from what I've read on here, the moult can start at around 15 to 24 months of age (sometimes earlier or later depending on the bird) so He/She could be going through their first major moult and if so, the ring will be revealed-if it's a male. :)
leo

Post by leo »

whaaa...mean after this molt, if tango does not have ring, mean she confirm to be a female....

hmm, anyway, the head feather is still dropping, so do the body feathers...really really alot...

yesterday i give him a goos shower...after shower, there is alot alot of feahtrer on the floor...omg, whe he fly... even alot more feather flying out of the body....

he look very ugly :)
Aldeleen

Post by Aldeleen »

Hi all seeing that we are on the topic :0
What do you guys think? Is my babes female-- I do think so...... Pi-ko has now, i think finished a second mault--- first one was around 12-13 months and Pi-ko is now is in 28 months

Hatched ± Aug 2006..... Pi-ko is not loosing to many freather anymore-- the tail is growing back but i think Pi-ko dropped them all at once due to the traumatic experience :( shame--- u can see in the pic the droopy wing-

Also Pi-ko has always has the slight darkness---
Do u guys think its all over and its Miss Pi-ko? :)
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Aldeleen wrote:Hi all seeing that we are on the topic :0
What do you guys think? Is my babes female-- I do think so...... Pi-ko has now, i think finished a second mault--- first one was around 12-13 months and Pi-ko is now is in 28 months

Hatched ± Aug 2006..... Pi-ko is not loosing to many freather anymore-- the tail is growing back but i think Pi-ko dropped them all at once due to the traumatic experience :( shame--- u can see in the pic the droopy wing-

Also Pi-ko has always has the slight darkness---
Do u guys think its all over and its Miss Pi-ko? :)

I'd say girl considering she was hatched Aug of 06 that was more than two years ago.. closer to 2 and a half. She's gorgeous!!
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

leo wrote:whaaa...mean after this molt, if tango does not have ring, mean she confirm to be a female....

I am not sure if the ring appears on the first or second moult..I always assumed it appeared on the first one- as my first IRN was 18 months old when it first started showing

he look very ugly :)

I bet he looks cute...post some pictures!
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

The only time I would say you could be sure is once the bird has reached 3 years and no ring. There are major and minor molts regularly through the years, so there could be another partial molt in a few months
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless