best invention yet! Bird's private bed/change tent

Moderator: Mods

dan

best invention yet! Bird's private bed/change tent

Post by dan »

I mentioned this in another post .

I cut a square sheet with 4 material flaps that hang. ( Like an upside down box)
And hung it over a perch, top corner. You can use cardboard to help keep the shape of the centre piece.

You don't even need to sew, you can cut the whole shape out of fabric, (like a folded out cardboard box) or hand stich 3 of the side flaps together if you wish.

I have velcro tabs so I can take it apart and down to wash.

When he goes inside the tent no one can see or disturb him and I don't have to worry about covering the cage up to sleep. He loves it. Also gives him a place to hide if he's unsure of visitors.

If you are not sure what I mean, think of a upside down box over a perch.
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

That is a really great idea. I think I am going to give that a try. I bought one of those "Sleepy Tee Pee's" for Elliott but he wouldn't go in it...I think he would like this much better
julie

Post by julie »

can we see a pic of it please. ( by the way it is in the pic section )
dan

Post by dan »

It was hard to get a good photo.

ryelle

Post by ryelle »

that looks really cool!

nice to see peoples creativity :D
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

Great Photo......Great idea......... :lol:
I love your dollie :P
dan

Post by dan »

Thanks. He loves using it. The next one I make might be more decorative.

If you notice the front flap is not stitched on the sides so he can peek out of the edges when ever he wants.

When you first hang or tie it up, you can peg up the front flap so he gets the idea to go in.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That looks like a great idea.

Hey, maybe you should try and market that!
leo

Post by leo »

sorry...will that cause nesting teritorial problem, especially for mature female?

sorry to spoil the fun
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Nice idea ! did it take long for him to get use to the new item in the cage ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

dan

Post by dan »

I put a peg to leave one flap up for the first day. He went in it at night and I took the peg off the next night.
Fah

Post by Fah »

leo wrote:sorry...will that cause nesting teritorial problem, especially for mature female?

sorry to spoil the fun

I would be suprised if any hen would even consider that a viable nesting place. I would be suprised at any pet IRN that would have nesting territorial problems with anything like that.

Cubby tents have been around for a long time, but this idea is quite neat.
leo

Post by leo »

i know im a noob, but as i know...when the bird on heat, you cant even touch him, he will keep vomiting and try to feed you...and dark chamber will stimulate it even more...not true ? well that just my stupid opinion , knowladge and saying...

im not saying nesting...
well, just a discussion, so, just dissmissed it if anybody dont find any point of it...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
dan

Post by dan »

I only made it as a room for him to go into when he wants privacy. It's not designed as a nest sorry. All I know is he likes it and had no problems using it.

You could try putting a nest inside it but you may as well just use the typical nest box. I dont know anything about nesting teritorial problems sorry.
Last edited by dan on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
leo

Post by leo »

im not saying it is good or not good...
sorry...will that cause nesting teritorial problem, especially for mature female?

i just ask...why is it a prob?
cant i just ask?
whats the prob with it?
I only made it as a room for him to go into when he wants privacy. It's not designed as a nest sorry. All I know is he likes it and had no problems using it.

yes, i know...
once again, i just ask, i even did apologise if i spoil the fun...

if you all not happy of me asking my stupid Q out, just ignore it...
moderators....) please delete my posts in this thread
dan

Post by dan »

I dont have problems with you asking questions, I just don't have the answer sorry.

I sometimes put my hand in to pat him.
If he has problems with the house later on I'll let you know.
leo

Post by leo »

sorry...iwas in school and was not in a goodmood...well., ya,im just asking...if you see somthing that might go wrong what will you do?
you will ask weather this or that might happen, right?

even though it might appear as stupid question, please understand,im just concern about it...fah, as a breeder say, it will never be a problem, so, what can i say when i just keep a bird that has alot of problems...

i got no say, but again, i just ask to feed myown stupidity, and to show that imconcern as here, ppl with female parrot will have alot of problem when they do thing like hut or something secret chamber or what ever it is....

let alone your idea, you take out a hen on heat, cover her with somethig like balnket and try to play peekaboo (tame), she will pe ka boo you with abite...

it is what i see here...this stupid thing happen even to parrotlet...
Fah

Post by Fah »

All birds are different, some react badly to cubby tents but most just love the ability to hide.

One thing people need to realise with a cubby tent is if they go inside it.. they do NOT want to be touched / entertained etc... cubby tents need to be respespected as "self time" and regarded like a shrine (except when you need to clean it lol).

I personally really like Dans idea. Many of the other cubby tents are compact, harder to keep the bird clean and away from its own faeces. This design is a more natural approach to footing and sleeping trends, allows droppings to fall through and away from the bird, as well as provide a great sense of security for it.

In regards to the idea a hen can go broody, well you would be talking about a very small portion of a pet population that might go quite nasty if you poked around its new tent, however the behaviour from what I have seen never goes past being around the tent... you are not meant to play around with the bird near the tent anyway, so this should not be a problem.

Pet birds naturally dull their need to breed without proper nesting sites, hormones kick in etc, but the attitudes stay relatively calm without a nest... and no bird would recognise this as any form of true nest and try to make something of it.

There are always exceptions to the rule leo, and noone is stupid by asking questions (you dont learn anything from being quiet).

I think its quite a neat idea and something I will muck around with for my pets as well.
leo

Post by leo »

ya...i know...it is juat i see alot in my my local hobist,...im not saying the idea was bad, just seen quiet a lot of cases small kid got bitten by their female love bird who become on heat and long long period on heat and agresion when they put in the tend...i ask coz, the idea was here 2 years ago and it is popular with lovebird owner, reported the bird become highly tritorial and take the tend as defance base of the cage. till lot of the han go mad, and they remove the it, all problem solve...

well,anyway...its juat an discusion...i just tell youwhat i see and know...i never expiriance usung the tend,but alot of my friend, so called parrot friend(who mock me in the face for having IRN) have exvpiriance it
Poochletty

Post by Poochletty »

What a great idea! I am gonna try to make one for Blue. He might love it! It looks like this project takes rather minor time or expense. So, if he gets bratty with his new tent... I'll just take it out of the cage.
inept

Post by inept »

I actually have something quite similar for Ruffle. I cut the sleeve of a large, old fleece sweatshirt, trimmed it to size and cut a slit down the side, strung it around some copper wire and cinched the top with a zip tie.

The result is a cylindrical "sleepy tent" similar in concept to the original poster's. Ruffle doesn't typically sleep in it at night, but does nap in it during the day. He also runs into it when a stranger comes to visit and scares him.