My IRN Pics!

Moderator: Mods

TD

My IRN Pics!

Post by TD »

Hi all,

Here are a few pics of my 2 Ringnecks. The Albino is a hen, 3 - 4 years old, the blue is 20 months old, hopefully a male!! My 3yo son has named them Snowy & Bluey, so I have no choice but to stick with those names!
Cheers, Tim.

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

:shock: I am coming down to Vic and stealing "Snowy" away from you lol. She is gorgeous. "Bluey" is nice to, but I have a soft spot for Albinos.

Now where did you say you lived again.............. lol :P

8)
TD

Post by TD »

Ha ha, thanks!! Me too, I have always liked Albinos and Lutinos but decided to get a blue because I had never kept one before.
I agree though, she's a beauty. I bought her from a guy who advertised, always a risk when you don't know the bird or keepers history, but as soon as I met him and saw his aviary, I had no reservations.
He keeps his birds for the love of it, not the money, in the cleanest healthiest conditions, so its thanks to him that she looks so good.
I was a bit worried taking her home because my aviary is a third the size of his (his was bloody huge!) but she has adapted like she had lived there for ever which is great.
I bought Bluey from a lady who had been keeping him indoors in a cage, not ideal for an untamed bird, but she knew that and that's why she sold him. He has never been happier!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have the common colours, like the original greens, lutinos, blues, greys, cinnamon, not all the fancy new colours lol, and I did have an Olive until recently.
She dug her way out of the aviary early one morning. When I came home from work she was gone as was her partner. I did manage to recapture the partner. He took a fancy to my Lutino girl :wink: , plus he was fairly quiet to begin with so that made it easy. But the Olive has not been seen since. :cry: I am really cranky she got out, not only because I lost her but she is now in the wild fending for herself and possibly posing a problem with our native birds. :? As she was a very flighty bird and not the least bit quiet (she was as feral as the day I got her nearly 12 months ago) but I didn't mind as she was an aviary bird, I am not to sure if anyone would have been able to catch her. Even if someone did, around here it's "finders keepers" :evil:
I thought she would of at least returned a few times, but nope.

8)
TD

Post by TD »

Same here PinkDevil, I only have ever had the common colours, and will stick to that, although I do admire the commitment of the people who breed the fancy mutations!
The finders keepers thing is probably due to their popularity, but if I found someone elses I would make an effort to find the owner. Thats sad that your bird didn't come back.
I occasionally see the odd Ringneck flying wild around our area, obviously escapees. I read that there are so many escapees in Perth, that they are starting to breed in the wild over there, and are causing problems with farmers. I think the W.A government have got an eradication plan over there! Have a look at the pdf thru this link, it's an interesting read.

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/pw/v ... 200607.pdf
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Yeah I read that W.A. was having a IRN problem and the Government was stepping in.

It is a shame that our native birds can suffer because of these beautiful birds. :?

I have been thinking of changing my aviaries over to suspendeds to help prevent my birds from escaping this way again. I am renting at the moment and can't have "permanent" aviaries here. The obvious halt to that plan is cost so I have begun to save my pennies. :)

But I also like the aviaries I have as I can interact with the birds on the inside of the aviary. I have laid wire on the bottom of some of the aviaries, even though it probably wont last that long as it would rust away fairly quickly.

I can't believe the rising cost of wire lately. It has doubled in price since I bought my first lot of wire early last year! :shock:

8)
Fah

Post by Fah »

On the topic of wire, we can expect costs to slow.. but its expected to rise another 5% in the coming months. All basic metals and wires have risen by approx 40-50% in the last year. Sign of the times really.

I personally dont like suspended aviaries, they have alot going for them, but I just lay down weed matting and seconds tiles (dirt cheap tiles) or concrete under the conventionals. I enjoy being able to walk into the aviary and check my birdies out heh. Long suspendeds = almost impossible to catch stuborn birds as well.

So if you cant have a perma fix, and its prob not as if you are worried about the grass being nice in the aviary, just put down some cheap weed matting and some very cheap tiles.
countrygal_cc

Good Birds

Post by countrygal_cc »

Nice names ;-) The white one is very pretty. First time i have seen a white one. On down the road I would like to buy a blue one too.
I love my cupcake... Does your white bird talk?
Park outside where the air is cool...
TD

Post by TD »

Thanks! My son named them. She doesn't talk, neither are tame, as I plan to breed with her. I also love Lutino's.
TD

Post by TD »

Hey Pinkdevil, on the topic of wire, have you tried ebay? There's a bloke in Toowoomba who seems to be selling it cheap, he has an online store. Cheers, Tim.
Aces Wild

Post by Aces Wild »

beautiful birds!~
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

No TD, I have not looked on Ebay. I think the freight would be a killer from QLD to NSW.

I am thinking of going with Fahs' idea and putting down brick/tiles for the moment.

Besides, I KNOW if I have suspendeds built I WILL fill them with more birds instead of the birds they were intended for. :roll: lol

8)