My new baby

Moderator: Mods

Chloe

My new baby

Post by Chloe »

Monday i go into the pet shop to get some advice on Parka - He hurt his foot the other weekend and i just wanted to get some advice. I know the owner of the shop quite well.

I end up getting the advice i was after and walking out, minus $400.00 plus:

Introducing Ziggy! 12 wks old (Alexandrine) I am in love....he is adorable.

I used to think Parka was a big bird - Holy moley - when you put the two of them together, Ziggy is massive.
Parka and Ziggy

Does anyone have any experiences mixing the two breeds together? Do you think i will have any trouble housing them together. What are your experiences?
They seem to be getting along atm. Parka keeps grabbing Ziggy's feet.

Thanks for looking
PARKA & MAX

catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

They are too cute together! Did not realize the size difference was so much.
MCS
Donna

Post by Donna »

Because one is bigger I would not try to house them together. Your first bird has already established his home and probably will not stand for another bird in with him. Fights break out fast and one is already nipping at feet.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
julie

Post by julie »

Cool 8) I took some pics when i first got meika with spike. Spike is actually older than meika and look at the size difference.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Playing together- with supervision- is okay. But housing them together can be asking for trouble. It's likely that they will fight as they age, and biting feet is one way a bird has to say, "Hey?! Get outta here- move it!" or "Stop doing that!"
A lovebird nearly bit the toe off of one of my 'tiels when he landed on her cage. When a bird means it, the bite will be hard and swift. And you probably won't see it coming.

I've seen too many pictures of bird versus bird injuries. It can get rather gruesome- especialy injuries to the beak (a larger bird can actually tear off the beak of a smaller bird...). So I don't like mixing species together in the same cage. I prefer to be careful and know that my birds still have all their toes.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww. Look at that bubby face!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

I have to add, my two wont be staying together for much longer. I would also recommend getting separate cages for them.
Is that a ring starting already??
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Aw look at all the cute pics to look at .. aren't the alex's so clumbsy looking when they are young.. lol .. I agree seperate cages, monitored playtime, they can become friends, but even the besties fight especially when caged.

Julie, good eye for detail, it does look like a ring starting, maybe it is a kinda ring equanox :?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Oh My Word :!:

'He' (extremely high beak, identical to my boy at around 8-12 weeks) is soooo cute! I love his emerald color, like my Baby! Congrats. They are both simply gorgeous!

Looks like you have scored a girl and a boy :!: (its a gift :lol: )

Go Greens! :D