Hane; R.I.P.

Moderator: Mods

Melika

Hane; R.I.P.

Post by Melika »

Hane passed away last week (first week in April 2016) due to unknown causes. He was just 11 years of age. He will be missed.

I will continue coming here and maintaining the Diet sticky. There will be no more FIDs in my household for the time being.

*New Pics Always on Top*
Rest of the flock/pack: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5023

Keep saying I'll get pics of his cage up... so finally! 32in wide 40in tall 23in deep and even with all his toys inside he can still move around and exercise his wings.
He used to like his cage cluttered with toys, but now he likes space so he can hop around everywhere.
The majority of his toys and perches are bought at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ as I save by buying a whole lot at one time. I keep a few bins of toys and switch them out every two/three weeks so Hane has something 'new' to chew.

Hane's tabletop stand he chills on while I am at the computer. My local pet store (the cool one where people know what they're talking about) had this bottlebrush stand cheaper than the guy that makes them. Hane really seems to like chewing on it- I think I'll buy another so my tiel has a place to hang too!
Learn more about bottlebrush here: http://www.waynesparrotstuff.com/

You can see a few feathers that so far he is letting grow back in- we're working on it!

Just chillin' in the yard. ^_^

This is Hane and Tsume on their outdoor stand. It's just a tree branch
(from cutting down our pink grapefruit tree) stuck in an umbrella stand, but it works! There's also some grape vine stuck in the middle, gives them a way back up if they get on the ground somehow. ^^ They eat the messy foods that stain clothes/furniture/floors/dogs out here. They're never out alone- I'm too worried about hawks and we have the dogs out now too since the neighbors all seem to have cats now. They really should keep their cats indoors... :?

Tsume does this a lot, he'll sit on the edge of a perch and harass Hane until Hane lunges. Then Tsume will flap like crazy and pretend Hane is pushing him off the perch. :lol:

Tsume, grooming after a bath (before ring)

Hane and Tsume, younger before rings in the backyard

I searched to see if I already had a photo topic going for Hane but I haven't put any pictures of him up since my first post on this board! :shock:

Hane

The only way Hane will bathe happily, the hose outside or the rain. This is the hose.
We think Hane is the one on the right or left.
The other is Tsume. :roll:

Here is another bath picture, closeup:

And Tsume during his last moult, getting his ring:

These are the brothers and sisters (don't know the sex yet) of Hane and Tsume, one year younger though. Different clutch. My sister and I hand-raised them for the owners. We named them Porthos, Athos, and Aramis after the three muskateers since we had to call them something. They have new names now but I can never remember them...

First day perching!

Common, is it ready yet?!

Hellooooo... we're waiting...

Flight Training and excercise:

Last edited by Melika on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 18 times in total.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
nil

Post by nil »

it looks like paradise.
pretty birds!
i wish you many many years of happiness with sweet hane :)
greeny

Post by greeny »

Beautiful photos! It looked like the Philippines to me, but I see you are in Florida. Perfect setting for the pretty birds.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Very cute! Stunning pics as well! Looks like theyre having fun in the rainbow! :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Wow, Melika looks like you traveled to the jungle in those photos! Very nice! Hane looks camouflaged in those photos!

Thanks for posting!

Best wishes,

Imran
Melika

Post by Melika »

I think they like it. Soon I'll get some picks of their outdoor playstand up here.

My father owns a landscaping company and I work for him so that's why all the tropical plants. I trained the one bamboo culm to grow in an arch so the birdies could play on it. We have to keep an eye on Tsume though- he looks at the vertical culms far too often!

*edit* New piccies up. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
kylie

Post by kylie »

Sorry to ask such a question. It's probably been done to death this topic, but I must ask to satisfy my own curiosity.

You flight train them, I can see that from the pics. But then do you clip their wings so they don't fly away from you when you are outside? Or are their wings complete?

How do you possibly train a bird to stay with you when their natural instinct would be to fly to the nearest tall tree? This has always bothered me how people are able to do that with their birds.

I see you are in California. To all you guys over there in the US I hope the fires are not near to any of you. We are getting pretty gruesome media reports of the fires and like ours last season, they look devastatingly bad. My thoughts are with you all.
Kylie
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

The photos are very cute dont delect the photos to put new ones up just put more up in the same thread as another post we love photos
Sharlene and Amazon
Clare

Post by Clare »

I agree. Those birds are so cute. Don't delete them, just add new ones! :)

Your pictures look like art works, especially the ones of hane and tsume on the branches together.
Melika

Post by Melika »

kylie wrote:You flight train them, I can see that from the pics. But then do you clip their wings so they don't fly away from you when you are outside? Or are their wings complete?

How do you possibly train a bird to stay with you when their natural instinct would be to fly to the nearest tall tree? This has always bothered me how people are able to do that with their birds.

I clip. The pic with the full flight feathers was of a young fledgling. I feel it is important for a bird's mind and body to learn to fly before being clipped for the first time. Then they'll know how to land without injuring themselves and it helps them to be less afraid at this point in their life where they should be learning how to explore their world.

But once they've got it all down pat, I clip the wings. While they're learning to fly and land, doors and windows are closed and locked and fans are off.

My home is too dangerous for flighted birds. Though, we do keep them inside for a while after molting to let them fly again. It helps them lose any weight they may have gained, tone muscle, and they just plain like it. But they like going outside more than flying so we clip after a few days of full flight. Thay all adjust well to being clipped. They take one leap, glide to the ground and shrug it off.

Second reason to let the feathers grow out before clipping- you only have to clip once. You don't worry about a new flight feather coming in that you didn't notice that will allow your bird limited flight (which could be to the roof or over the fence).

But we have to be extremely careful when they're flighted. Doors open and close all day in this house. Every time I open a newspaper to the lost and found section I see parrots and that gives me a reality check if I'm tempted to let my birds have free flight.

It's just my personal choice.

Clare wrote:I agree. Those birds are so cute. Don't delete them, just add new ones! :)

Your pictures look like art works, especially the ones of hane and tsume on the branches together.

If I never deleted any I would run out of hosting space on photobucket! O_O

So I find this a good solution. And no worries, there will always be new and prettier ones to look at (or funnier) as time goes on. :D
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D I love your pics! Hungry lil fellas. They are adorable!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Just beautiful pictures and fids. The three remind me so much of my three I handraised (The minikins).

Yes it is extremely important that they fully fledge, they get good flight training and a few weeks to learn flight and landing techniques so that when you clip them they know how to land and balance well, to glide easily down from objects etc.

Cant wait to see more pictures.

Please don't remove the others though when you post new ones.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Melika

Post by Melika »

*caves in to demand* Fine, won't delete until they're so old you get tired of looking at them and complain for new pics. Which we all know will never happen. o_O

New pics, up top. ^^
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

omg! they're adorable! i love love love the babies! :)
~the stubborn one~
Aldeleen

Post by Aldeleen »

I am SO JELOUS ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY!! WOW THATS ALL I CAN SAY!!
They look so happy and im sure that the both are! Hane is spectacular!!! WOW! You are very furtunate to be able to let them outside a bit!!! I wish i could provide a space for Pi-ko but im not there yet-- I myself still have to upgrade to a bigger place!! But im buying Mr.pikkels a bigger house for Christmas!! whoo hooo I myself is exctited!! I still havnt done a clipping-- he is going through another phase of maulting!

HEHEHEH BUT please keep the pics coming they are such a treat! You truely have VERY BEAUTIFUL BIRDS!! :wink:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Amazing photo's , just beautiful !! and amazing subjects. Your birds are beautiful darlin. I love looking at these pics .. thankyou ! Would be nice if you could post them in one of the share your artwork strings.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Amazing photo's , just beautiful !! and amazing subjects. Your birds are beautiful darlin. I love looking at these pics .. thankyou ! Would be nice if you could post them in the share your artwork string in the lounge so we can always go back and enjoy them when we want to :wink: .
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Look at those looong tails! :D Wow!
Melika

Post by Melika »

kyria wrote:Amazing photo's , just beautiful !! and amazing subjects. Your birds are beautiful darlin. I love looking at these pics .. thankyou ! Would be nice if you could post them in the share your artwork string in the lounge so we can always go back and enjoy them when we want to :wink: .

Ooh, good idea! Then I can keep the best of them around. ^_^

Thanks for all your wonderful comments, ya'll. :D
Melika

Re: Hane and friends- New pics added 18.11.10

Post by Melika »

New pictures up top. :)
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

They look gorgeous! What a wonderful Mum you are!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks for the update. Fantastic pics!

I'm envious that you take your birds outside. Our surroundings aren't conducive to that.... we are surrounded by bush and we live on the side of the mountain. I had Janey outside one day and even though her wings were clipped, something spooked her and she took off... even though she could only fly down... the yard fell away from her and she ended up in a tree near our shed... Luckily she was still at eye height and my husband ran down the steep hill and was able to get her to step up onto him out of the tree. If she'd managed to go another metre into the forest, we may not have been able to retrieve her. I haven't taken them outside since.

What do you think has caused Hane's feather picking (that is, if it is feather picking?)? Is he highly strung? You mentioned it has improved. What have you done to bring on the improvement? Hope you don't mind me asking... I'm just interested to know what to do about it if it happens.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

P.S. Thanks for the info on the bottlebrush gym. I have bottlebrush's growing in my garden... must see if i can do anything with it for my birds!
twippa

Post by twippa »

Gorgeous photos!!! Lovely to see so many in a row, gives a great idea of your life with your beautiful birds :-)

Oh yes and I totally adore those babies :-) super cute hope I have the chance to handraise one day!!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Fantastic photos!!!!

It is great when one can take their birds outside to enjoy a cagefree moment. :)

It is hard to narrow down to just one fav pic, they are all great. :) :) :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

ellieelectrons wrote:Thanks for the update. Fantastic pics!

I'm envious that you take your birds outside. Our surroundings aren't conducive to that.... we are surrounded by bush and we live on the side of the mountain. I had Janey outside one day and even though her wings were clipped, something spooked her and she took off... even though she could only fly down... the yard fell away from her and she ended up in a tree near our shed... Luckily she was still at eye height and my husband ran down the steep hill and was able to get her to step up onto him out of the tree. If she'd managed to go another metre into the forest, we may not have been able to retrieve her. I haven't taken them outside since.

What do you think has caused Hane's feather picking (that is, if it is feather picking?)? Is he highly strung? You mentioned it has improved. What have you done to bring on the improvement? Hope you don't mind me asking... I'm just interested to know what to do about it if it happens.

P.S. Thanks for the info on the bottlebrush gym. I have bottlebrush's growing in my garden... must see if i can do anything with it for my birds!

Ellie.
Consider an outdoor cage for chillin' while you're out there too? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a little something to get some sun in.
You should see the way I eye bottlebrush trees while I'm out driving around. I want to cut them. XD

For Hane, just trying to keep his beak occupied has helped. While I was in school he wasn't getting much attention, fresh foods, or outside time as he was used to. I think he just got bored. So now trying to make more foraging opportunities for him while he's in his cage, giving him fresh foods and spending time outside/baths.
Melika

No more pictures for Hane.

Post by Melika »

Updated title and first post.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Hane; R.I.P.

Post by ringneck »

OMG! I'm in shock!!!!!!!

I just came across this and I can't believe it!!!! Melika i'm sooo sorry! I feel i've been punched in my gut right now!!! This is absolutely unbelievable, sad and crazy! :((

I'm so sorry, but i'm in shock! Please know that i'm here for you, okay!? I can only imagine how you feel and I'm super sorry I just came across this post! Just know that Hane is always with you!!!

I know right now you don't forsee another ringneck in your life, but you never know when one pulls at your heart. Truly saddened by the news :( In fact, now you got me depressed. :((

Imran =((
Melika

Post by Melika »

Thank you, Imran. It means a lot to me that Hane will remembered by others too. :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Melika, I'm so sorry! We all know Hane had excellent care and every advantage. I feel there's nothing I can say to help, other than I care about how you're feeling. I know you're devastated. I'm not there with you, but you're not alone.

My best to you.
-MissK
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

He will always be remembered! He has been part of our family here for so many years--in fact, the both of you!

Imran
Melika

Post by Melika »

MissK wrote:Melika, I'm so sorry! We all know Hane had excellent care and every advantage. I feel there's nothing I can say to help, other than I care about how you're feeling. I know you're devastated. I'm not there with you, but you're not alone.

My best to you.
Thank you, MissK.
Melika

Finally able to talk about it.

Post by Melika »

We still don't know what happened to Hane. He was a great bird. He was so spunky and independant, but also capable of showing much affection. I could pet and scritch his head. I think that I will forever wonder if there was something I could do to prevent his early death, just as I will for my dog, Amadeus.

Hane was a good companion for many years. He was never much of a screamer. He didn't wake me up early in the morning. He would play quietly until I woke up. He was a cheerful bird.

He was just two weeks old when I got him. I never really planned on having an IRN. They weren't even on my list of birds that I would want (Green-winged macaw, vosmaeri eclectus, military macaw, meyer's parrot). But one of our clients had a pair hatching eggs and offered me, I thought jokingly, one of the chicks. He explained that he was sincere in his offer and at once I began doing my research and buying my supplies. When he had some pin feathers, I brought him home and my sister selected one of the siblings. They were so much fun with their little clumsy chick bodies. They ate anything we gave them, the little pigs. Feeding them was almost half the fun of having them at that point! They were so enthusiastic with their food. I counted myself fortunate to have already been trained in how to hand-feed and wean by a friend who bred lovebirds and senegals. I'm sure this prevented many problems for me and the chicks.

We were both so delighted when their rings began to appear. I think we were both very hesitant to say anything- a little grey feather in one spot can't possibly mean that they're both boys... can it? Indeed, they were both beautiful male IRNs.

Hane began feather picking sometime during his adulthood after he was sexually mature. I don't remember how old he was. But it steadily got worse. Ironically, he was improving in the year leading up to his death.

Tsume's death was hard, for my sister especially as he was her bird. I helped her bury him in the yard and she continued playing with Hane even more. He LOVED my sister. He wanted my sister to have his babies. I think it was because she often wore green and danced with him.

My husband HATED Hane. According to my husband, during our first year of marriage Hane would scream at him when I left. By our third year of marriage, they had an uneasy truce. My husband, it seemed, took it personally that Hane had screamed at him. What could I do? Hane was a bird, a wild animal. He's going to do what makes sense to a bird, not to a person. My husband wasn't happy with Hane, but at least he didn't yell at Hane (I kept telling him that if he wants Hane to stop yelling, he can't yell back). My husband is clearly not a bird person. But they actually started getting along.

My sister was the one to find Hane and let me know. She and my husband helped me bury him next to where Tsume was buried so many years before.

How can so many years pass so quickly? How can a little green bird weasel its way into one's heart?

When we moved back to St. Pete, my husband ingeniously connected both the cages that I owned into one GIANT cage for Hane. He loved it. I'm glad that we got to do that for him.

I miss Hane.

I don't think I'll ever own another parrot. They really are wild animals. I'm not sure we should keep them in captivity (or breed them for captivity/pet trade). They're really no different than tigers, bears, or wolves. They aren't made to be companions for humans. I have come to believe that they miss out on a vital part of what they should be when we keep them to ourselves as we do. They're capable of so much more than we can give them. Domestic animals tend to thrive on human companionship, but wild animals simply don't. Too many times we humans try to force wild animals into a mold that we create, and thus we tend to miss out on what that animal truly is. I don't know if that makes sense. This is only my personal conclusion.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

So sorry for your loss, Melika. I'm only just seeing this now. :(

Ellie.
Melika

Post by Melika »

ellieelectrons wrote:So sorry for your loss, Melika. I'm only just seeing this now. :(

Ellie.

Thanks, Ellie.