Fresh Veggies

Moderator: Mods

Bird crazy

Fresh Veggies

Post by Bird crazy »

How's this for fresh veggies, think it will do?
Just teasing Mik, Nila thinks he has to be on my hand all the time and when I got this piece of broccoli out he just attacked, so I set it in his dish and let him have the whole thing to tear up and throw all over the place. I think he might have eaten a little bit. But actually I do cooked whole grains with veggies in them, he really loves that, should I skip that and just do veggies fresh?

Thanks for the advice, I will do better.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Whole grains are reeeeally good for birds, Sue! I say keep up with that for sure! Have you ever got your hands on The Healthy Bird Cookbook? It's wonderful! I'll bring it along next time we hang out.

What a cute picture! Baby used to tear up the broccoli as well :lol:
Melika

Post by Melika »

Fresh is great! You don't lose any of the good stuff that way. Lightly steamed is okay for those birds who don't like certain veggies fresh. ^^

In my potato mash, only the sweet potato gets cooked (shouldn't be served raw) and all the diced veggies are added fresh.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Melika wrote:Fresh is great! You don't lose any of the good stuff that way. Lightly steamed is okay for those birds who don't like certain veggies fresh. ^^

In my potato mash, only the sweet potato gets cooked (shouldn't be served raw) and all the diced veggies are added fresh.

I make the same mash! :D sometimes for breakfast I switch the sweet taters out for instant oatmeal, though!
Melika

Post by Melika »

I freeze it too, in ice cube trays and when they're frozen put them in freezer bags. It's like a serving for those times I just don't have the time to make something fresh. They love it cold too. But they get warm on the day I make it. I could always heat the cubes up but I hate microwaves. :?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Aww why do you hate microwaves?
Melika

Post by Melika »

Temporary stealing of topic: We just don't get a long. I think it should take this long to cook something and it always thinks something longer or worse- shorter.

Back to topic: It usually seems that though broccoli is a stronger tasting veggie, birds just have fun with it. Perhaps it reminds them of millet!
Ringneckmom

Post by Ringneckmom »

Very cute! Mine like theirs cooked. Don't care for it raw. :D
"Losing your hearts desire is tragic.. but gaining it is all you could have ever hoped for." ~ One Tree Hill
~ Clara ~
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

*kicks herself dead in da **** again and mumbles ugly words under her breath*

WHAT was I thinking? Obviously, I wasnt.
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Melika wrote:Temporary stealing of topic: We just don't get a long. I think it should take this long to cook something and it always thinks something longer or worse- shorter.

:lol: We all have issues, don't we :wink:
Melika

Post by Melika »

xo Missi wrote:
Melika wrote:Temporary stealing of topic: We just don't get a long. I think it should take this long to cook something and it always thinks something longer or worse- shorter.

:lol: We all have issues, don't we :wink:

Indeed. :roll: