Early Mothers Day present !!!

Moderator: Mods

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Early Mothers Day present !!!

Post by kyria »

How cute is this little baby.. My new buddy .. no name yet.. just got surprised by the kids and hubby with a new addition to my family of fids. A masked lovebird. Any suggestions for names.

He only just met me and already loves me, cheeky, adventurous, cute as anything ! I can tell he will be a little terror.

The kids don't know if its a boy or girl (how do you tell with lovebirds?) and they don't know how old. The lady at the pet store just said its very young and you can tell because the colours are not full and vibrant yet. So not exactly sure when his birthday is, I will have to just take a guess.

The lady told them that we wont be able to tame it, it will just be for show. But guess what , she doesn't know me , I have already held him/her, kissed and played with it and its as tame as anything straight up.

I'm raving I know.. but I am soooo excited.

Yes I took a picture already ! :D

:D As s/he gets older the head will become jet black and the blue will be stronger.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Who cut its wing? :shock:

I am sorry to tell you, that is a Lime Blue and the head and body colour will stay the same. But they are still nice birds. And Lovebirds make great pets.

You can't visually tell the sex of a Mask Lovebird
natalie

wow wot a suprise

Post by natalie »

U lucky mum u! ur kids need to talk to my kids and ur hubby needs to speak to my hubby cos im lucky if i get a card!!!!!
Ur baby is beautiful, a real cutie. Congratulations. Natalie xxxxxxxx
To handle yourself use your head, to handle others use your heart.xx
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I will trim it up better for him when I get a chance. only been with him an hour or so. It looks really short in that picture for some reason but its not, all the covets are perfect, they didn't cut them. Well I have some more learning to do now .. I don't know much about lovebirds.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Cool Angie!

Hehehe you bird freak!

Dani, Prinny and Bodi
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

he is so cute, you lucky mom what great a family, have fun with him.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Dani03 wrote:Hehehe you bird freak!

hehehe yup! :D
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

happy mothers day. your new fid is very cute.i dont know why the pet shops try to tell people that the birds are not tameable indie was going cheap because he couldnt be tamed but they couldnt tame him because he didnt like them and he bluffed they left him alone. i got cookie for mothers day too then tiffany got me a nice jumper as well.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Sorry, i really should have used to European and proper name. Instead of Lime Blue, that is a Pastel Blue.

Are his secondaries cut?
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I reposted more pics on the new post for you Jeremy so you can see his wings are all trimmed up and looking good. tell me what you think
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Angie,
I must have missed this post last night. Congrats and he/she is DARLING! Love the colors. He'll match Kai a little.
Renate

Post by Renate »

OMG, I've never seen that colour on lovebirds before! I'm definately getting one of those! :twisted: Wow, s/he's pretty!! :D
Renate

Re: Early Mothers Day present !!!

Post by Renate »

kyria wrote:The lady told them that we wont be able to tame it, it will just be for show. But guess what , she doesn't know me , I have already held him/her, kissed and played with it and its as tame as anything straight up.

I've got to ask.. How did you manage that?I mean.. So fast!! :D (I'm getting an untamed IRN next friday, so I try to soak up as many tips as possible 8) ) :lol:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

untamed IRN are a different matter. Lovebirds are small flighty but easy to handle and get them use to you simply by handling them .. But an IRN is a totally different ballgame. If you are getting an older bird and its untame, it will be a slow and steady, one step at a time process.

The first main step will be gaining enough trust to get him to step up. No sudden moves, hands behind back when approaching, talking softly to it, trying to approach and as soon as fear shows, back off, then try again, getting closer and closer. Using treats and food to gain trust.. you get the idea.

Each day will be one tiny step. It took me a good 4 weeks to get kai comfortable with the step up. 6 months to be totally comfortable around us.

Had him 8 months now and he actually comes to us all the time and loves to be with us, eat with us, play with daddy, but he still has a bit of a flighty nature when scared with sudden movements or new people in the house. Unlike our handreared IRN Jordan, Jordan is sooooo tame, goes to anyone and nothing! scares him, which in some ways a worry (you know , the too trusting danger) .

There is a bundle of info in the archives of this website you can search out using the search button above and using keywords like, taming, biting, ste up, help etc.

There are a few of us that have started with untamed older birds and most of us, through hard work and patience now have the most wonderful and very intelligent loving Birds.

I have just helped my daughter with her new kakariki aswell, and in one week he is on our hands climbing our shoulders and investigating her room, stepping up on us and If he doesn't want to stepup we only need to bribe him with food.. lol.. these babies are garbage guts and will climb on any food bowl and just sit there eating.. lmao. but again very different to IRN.

Cheers .. goodluck.. and please post pictures when you get your new fid. :D
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Renate

Post by Renate »

Thank you for the tips! :D

But, really? Where I come from, everybody are saying that it is almost impossible to tame a lovebird, and that they are not suitet as pets if not handreared... :oops: :lol:

Yes, I'm really looking forward to Buck's (or Pepper.. What do you guys think? Buck or Pepper? :P ) arrival! :D I actually don't know if he's old or young, because I had to order him from the pet store, so he's coming all the way from Sweden.
I'm telling you... It is NOT easy finding IRN's here.... :evil:

Mark my words; there'll be lots of pictures! 8) :wink:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

yep they told my kids that here at the pet store .. but I know others that have tame lovies and chamon has a beautiful Audi that is tame too. I don't think you can generalise about anything in life.

Most say they die if they are on their own, they MUST have a partner. But the case is .. if they are paired and you sperate them it can be detrimental to them. But as a single bird from the beginning they are just fine.

I love the name Pepper .. definately Pepper.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

kosejentan

Post by kosejentan »

Such a cute little buddy you got for mothers day!!!! :D Just love him!!! :D:D:D I think it's a myth when people say that you can't tame lovebirds. On another forum I'm at there are lovebirds that are tamed and they even have 2 of them. Yes, they got 1 first and tamed him but the other have followed the first birds behaviour so they are bith tame. How much you have to work with the bird is another side of the story. That all depends on how the bird are as a little individual. Nice work, kyria!!! :D
Pamela with 2 budgies, 2 tiels and a baby Indian Ringneck named Jia