Other Pets

Moderator: Mods

Datsun and Family

Other Pets

Post by Datsun and Family »

What other pets does everyone have? Pics would be great if you have any too.

I have:

My crazy rabbit 'Bun' who thinks shes a dog, she chases the cat and plays mother to the birds.

James' tropical fish tank, home to 3 baby Jaguar cichlids and some community fish who so far have survived being eaten... its a work in progress.

Young Audi my 10 week old Fischers Lovebird, I raised him/her myself from 15 days old and he is a real sweetie! Bite sized bird with additude plus, he fits right in here :wink:

Chevy the budgie, stroppy, arrogant, noisy but Datsuns best friend and a pretty cool bird. Chev likes to cuddle on his terms and he tells you if he isnt happy!

Then theres Tom, the cat and bottom of the food chain around here. Poor Tom gets bossed around by the birds and rabbit then gets told off by us if he even thinks about getting them back :(
-Chamon-

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I wanna be your pet Chamon.

If ya'll are ever on the market for a cute lil indian girl adopt me!

I need a good Mommie. :D

Datsun loves the budgie? Isnt mean to it? Baby is Soooo mean to Chief.
~ Mikaela Sky

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Oy vey? What a question?

OK, start with the cats. Tubby and Montana. Montana is my "old" girl, 22 years old now, and has been with me since she was 5 weeks old. I don't know what I would do without her. Tubby was adopted 2 years ago, and has been a wonderful addition to the family :) Both cats ignore birds, they know any other behavior would get them in some serious trouble.

The dogs. The big red guy is Rex, he's a 9 year old Vizsla. We've had him since he was 8 weeks old. The medium white gal is Dottie.. who is unknown breed. She's very skittish as her history was awful. She's been with us since about 8 weeks old too, and shes 6 now. The well behaved dog lying down is Shotah.. shes a Staffordshire terrier, and shes 15. Shes been with us for 10 years and is the light of my life. She was not supposed to make it through the summer, but we didn't tell her that. She has inoperable cancer in her stomach. The little tiny dog is Jazmine. I inherited her last April when my grandfather passed away. I am the only person other than him she loves so there was no choice and I do love her.

We also have a pair of fish tanks, one for a large oscar and one for a pair of mini catfish.

And, the birds LOL. I'll introduce them all in a moment, I need to jump into a new post so this doesnt grow too huge.

Athena
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Ok, birds:

Lilly, Goffins Cockatoo. She's my oldest sons bird, and also loves the family. She's 13.

Ceebee, Umbrella Cockatoo. She's everyones bird. We have friends who come to visit just to cuddle with her LOL. Ceebee is turning six this year just before Xmas.

Miss Micha, Congo African Grey. She is my husbands bird, though she will tollerate my sons. She attacks me. Its ok, I love her anyway. Hrm, I think she's 10 this year?

Dayo, Blue and Gold. He is the ultimate Mama's boy. I love him so much I ache with it sometimes. He will allow others to hold him, but given his choice he would be with me 24/7. Dayo's 13.

Char, Blue and Gold. Char came to us plucking and mutilating, and bonded only to me. This baby has bounced all of his life, too much for any bird. He's with us for life, but he has a lot of problems. He continues to pluck his chest, but no longer mutilates. He is extremely aggressive to anyone but me, and even me on occasion. He has bitten through my hand at one point, but I don't blame him, I blame the long line of homes that never loved him enough to keep him. He's 31+ years old.

Cody, Congo African Grey. Cody mody is a shy but wonderful bird. He's my husbands bird, but loves me on occasion. He's one of the rare greys who doesnt talk much, but when he does talk... he says things that blow you away. He never ever speaks out of context. Cody is 9.

Kato, Blue and Gold. Kato is a daddy's girl just like Dayo's a momma's boy. I can move her from place to place, but thats it. She's brilliant, has a huge vocabulary, and is fully flighted. She wears a harness to go outside, and flies while out there on a tether. Kato is... I think 12?

Ok, one more continue...

Athena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Are sulfurs as sweet as umbrellas? I know where one is now (my breeder) and she'll give me one for 650.00 but he is 4 yrs old already. Sweet fella but Im set on an umbrella.
~ Mikaela Sky

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Diamond, my youngest sons bird. She's a lovebird, and she's 3 this year :)

We also have Whitey Ford, but I cant find a pic of him in my online albums. ARGH. Whitey is seven years old, and has been with us all of his life.

In addition my husband has reptiles... big buggers ;)

Its a zoo, but its a happy zoo!

Athena
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

OMG! I would love to have heaps of pets like you, you are amazing, but my husband would kill me. It was hard enough getting Kai and I will be sneaking my son a lovebird, shh don't tell jim(hubby). Also, I do hope in the future to give Kai a mate.

The only other pets I had (that I convinced hubby to let me have) were rats, I loved them soooo much. Pet rats are the best of the best of pets. The boys especially, girls are way too active, alot smaller than boys, boys just love to cuddle and go everywhere in your jumper.

We had breeding cages and seperate sex cages. At one point we had around 36 of them and loved and played with them all. Sad thing is they only live around 3 years so you have continuous passings and new favorites. My eldest daughter was the rat kid. She had 3 all-time favorites .. boys .. JJ .. Raticate and Stewart big (nick name:stewbins).

My favorite was the Matriarch of the Bunch a Female called Sparkles, because of her pink glistening eyes, such a sweetie, placid and sweet, not at all frantic and active like a typical female rat.

It even got to the point where we were taking in unwanted Rats, one in particular we called Bratty, because he was just that, bad life with mean kids and a house full of smoke, made for one mean boy, I could barely handle him, bitten a couple of times, but he settled into some form of a good life with us, needless to say he had his own cage away from the rest. Wow! look at how I have gone on, maybe I should think about getting rats again :shock: .

Well done with all those pets darlin !

Enjoy

Andrea (Angie)
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Here are my babies.

Baby loves to play with the new kittys :!:
Last edited by Mikaela on Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

What great pictures you guys! I love the pics. of Baby with the kittens. Really sweet! I thought those baby kitties would be bigger by now. How old are they now?

Nice pics. too Athena! Love all the birds you have. Bless your heart for taking in the macaw!

I'll post some pics. of my crew when I get some.

Jen
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Aww so cute Mikaela. love your hair too. Email me a kitty I want one >.<
I really really want a kitty, but I got too many birds.

I'm always paranoid about leaving the baby birds on the floor cos of the cat or dog.. Then I remember we dont have cats or dogs.

My mum has a german shep, and my sister has a feral cat. And the family has a cat. I left my poor family kitty behind at mums. He's too old to come with me.

We want more pics of baby outside !!!! *chants* More Pics More Pics More Pics *everyone join in*
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Neo , as a child I grew up with hundreds of pets, rabbits, guinea pigs, geese, ducks, chooks, lovebirds, cocaktiels, quail, galah's and then all the wild pets, lorikeets, rosella's, cockatoo's, magpies. My no pet type of life started when I married and moved out with hubby .. sigh!

I think ya hit a spot with me, brought back my happy childhood memories. I really need to work on my husband to let me have more pets.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Kyria, I think everyone should grow up with pets, They teach you so much about life and love you even when you think no one else will. People are getting so far from nature now and dont even give a second thought about the lives they impact human or animal or plant hehe plants have lives too :p.

When I convinced my not yet then fiance to buy a Sun Conure he told me it was his first pet ever and I almost cried. Now he has so many :p bwahahaha
DarinA

Post by DarinA »

These are the only pics that I have handy. This is our baby Molly. She is a 7 year old miniature schnauzer.

This is our newest addition, he is about a year old now, this is Little Man a miniature schnauzer also.

I cant find a picture of mom and dad, but these are our baby Siberian Huskies. As you can see these were taken last winter.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Aww so cute husky puppies.. I want one.. You just cant hug a bird like you can a puppy.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Darin,
Your puppies are adorable. All of them. I tend to refer to all dogs as puppies. I love dogs. I would take every single one in the world that was abused or neglected or homeless if I could. Did you sell the husky pups?
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

LOL, we do have heaps, but we love it. The dogs just kind of "grew". We had Shotah, and then got Rex for my oldest son... and then ran across poor abused Dottie (her mother was beat to death, the puppies nearly to death) and couldnt turn away from her... and then Jazzie from grandpa passing away.

I never really wanted more than 2 dogs, and I tell you, they go through a 50lb bag of food a week, but I love them all.

The birds... Im a sucker for feathers. Don't forget I have my 2 IRN's and my Alexandrine too LOL. We have pretty much shut our door to more birds though, other than for the rescue. We are not offering sanctuary because we are full up, and its hard. Some of these birds have histories like Char and I hate to see them out in the world again... but they would suffer if we kept them and so would our birds. After all, everyone needs attention and theres only 5 of us humans in this house!

:)

Athena
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Thats the problem I face at the moment. How many is too many. I have decided not to breed because I cant take care of them all and am reluctent to sell any baby of mine. I will however accept unwanted birds which is proving to be equivilant to breeding at the rate they are coming in lol.

You can only give a bird so much attention and when you have so many the quality of time spent with each dwindles. I limited my indoor pets to 6, then came bubble gut, then 4 ringys then 6 prinnys. And only two people, so yeah. I'm past my capacity until these babies grow up and find loving homes.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Okay, here's SOME of my clan:

Barbie (Barbecue) the cow:

Patty (Beef Patty) the cow:

My King Parrot pair:

Harvey the Staffordshire Bull Terrier:

Jethro the Pitbull Terrier:

Some of my collection of chooks:

Gary the GOose:
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

I would LOVE to see better pics of the kings! They are just so uncommon over here and I only know one person who has one... and I am in love with him. What a smart and beautiful bird he is!

Harvy rocks! I have a staffie too, and no one can tell me they are anything less than perfect. Does he have that same sweet personality? My girl will put up with anything (she had kids grow up climbing her) and just love you for doing it. She's so smart and so loving, I've never met another dog like her!

Athena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Jade:

The house we are moving to is built on a conservation lot. It has a river that runs behind it into the ocean some miles away.

My question is: Would a goose stay on our property mostly or roam to others property often?

I would love to have one. But if they are roamers, which I would imagine they are, I would want yeahs from my neighbors. The lot is only 1.5 acres but believe it or not, thats pretty big for Florida, usual is .5 acres. That is what we have now which is why we had to move.

Ooooorr, I could bring one in during the night and be like 'Hey, awesome, where did that come from!' hehe.
~ Mikaela Sky

*mia*

Post by *mia* »

Hello!
Here are my animals:
My Pyrenean mastiff, Arroyo

Image My budgies

Image The cat, dimman
Image The budgie babies and there parents

Image and Kalle..
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Mia,
What a GORGEOUS picture of your dog! Wow! That picture could be in a book or something. Did you take it or have it professionally done. That is beautiful. Not to mention the beauty of the dog itself. Wow! Breathtaking comes to mind when I look at that picture. I love it.

Jen
Jade

Post by Jade »

Athena:

I'll try and get better pictures of the Kingys on the weekend. They are buggers because they hide in their nesting log unless I'm feeding them. The male is semi tame but the female is as wild as all heck. These are the ones that have escaped 4 times but always come back to their aviary for the food! They are really beautiful and very large birds and they are mostly very friendly.

Mikaela:

I have three geese, Gary is my gander and then I have two ladies called 'One Eye' (she has only got one eye) and 'Twoy' (she has two eyes :roll: ) We live on just under 3 acres but my husband's parents own the adjoining 5 acres. The geese can fly - I haven't clipped their wings or anything. They haven't left home at all since we got them. We have a big dam at the back of our property and they go down there and swim and hang out and then come back up to the sheds to nest at night. Only problem is they are pretty loud and I'm lucky I have quite tolerant neighbours. Actually, let me correct myself, Gary is loud. The girls are quiet. Gary is extremely friendly and follows around like a dog. Very good protection for the house because they honk at everything and they will attack if they feel the need. They have the dogs petrified of them! Gary and the girls run the show at home. I don't think they will wander as long as you have plenty of grass and stuff to chew on, and a source of water for a dip. If you have any other questions about geese, just ask me. I'd say go for it!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Thanks Jade:

If I had to live by my In-Laws I would hang myself from a large oak tree. :oops:

Do you have the show 'Everybody Loves Raymond" over there? It is about a couple that live next to their in-laws and the mother-in-law is forever bashing the wife. I'd bash her and hide her in the cellar.

My My when it gets to be this time of the month I can become rather mean and morbid.

*Makes a mental note not to conduct any important business until 'her friend' leaves)*

I can see me now.... someone asking 'does it come with two baths or 1.5 and me beating them about the head and face with my Prada until i draw blood from an oraface. Ew, perhaps I need meds for this week of the month. :evil:
~ Mikaela Sky

*mia*

Post by *mia* »

Thanks Jen :D
I have take it myself. Its outside our house :)
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Wow Mia,
That's outside your house??? BEAUTIFUL! What a good dog he must be to just sit there and pose like that. My dogs would be all over the place. I love that picture. You should enter in a photo contest. It is incredible!
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Yep I agree beautiful picture indeed and beautfiul dog. So many lovely pets everyone has.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Jade

Post by Jade »

Mikaela:

We weren't too impressed when they bought the property - they didn't tell us. After it was a done deal they 'surprised' us with the news. Needless to say, after 18 months, they have the property on the market :shock: Jamie's dad is retired and likes to argue with all the neighbours and make complaints to the council. I think there are about 2 neighbours that would like to punch him in the head because of his complaining :lol:

We do get Everybody Loves Raymond and if only Jamie's dad was half as loveable :roll: Mum's great, dad's just an old bugger with too much time on his hands.