My Ringneck is reverting back

Moderator: Mods

skyfire

My Ringneck is reverting back

Post by skyfire »

Help, what's happening???

We picked up our Ringneck at a Bird store that is very reputable about thirty days ago. When we brought him home he was pretty good about standing on our finger. But slowly he has gone to where he doesn't want anything to do with being hand held anymore. He is not sfraid of us, because we can get right up close to us and he seems to want to be around us, but as soon as we try and place him on our finger he wants no part of it what so ever, and trys to fly away.

We do not chase him with our finger out, so that we don't scare him with it. My wife and I leave the house at 7:00AM, and return at 4:00PM, but we have a 21 and 22 year old home all day.

What are we doing wrong?
U.S Marine

Re: My Ringneck is reverting back

Post by U.S Marine »

Hey skyfire, you should try to use food instead of going in single handed.
Use treats that your bird loves. After you figure out what food he likes
you then can use that to your advantage. Use your finger to step up with
the treat in your other hand and make sure he sees the treat before you
try to get him to step up.

good luck and keep me posted.. :P
JimHcctx

Re: My Ringneck is reverting back

Post by JimHcctx »

This probably sounds a little mean, but if your bird is opting to "fly away" it still isn’t too sure of you. A flighted bird is always going to use its resources to 'exit stage left' if it feels uncertain of the situation.

One option you have is to continue to build that bond, (10 times a day), by approaching, giving a favored snack, let him get used to you until he reaches the point he is nuts to be by you. Once he is willing to step up, don’t give him a treat until he is on your finger, then once he does that, don’t give him the treat until he is on your hand, then on your arm, then on your shoulder etc etc.

As far as the wings go, you should keep him initially trimmed so he has to think twice about flying away and so he doesn’t get too far for his own safety. A flighted bird can be equally as trained, but a trimmed bird in my opinion is easier to work with. Once settled, in a few months the flight capability will be back and you can decide then if you want him flying.

Good Luck!
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!