scratching and possible diarrhea

Moderator: Mods

LINDY

scratching and possible diarrhea

Post by LINDY »

:?
Hi There,

My IRN (pumpkin) is pooping very watery and i am not sure if this is so normal as it is my first pet bird, pumkin is also scratching quite a bit and stuff looking like dandruff is coming off all the time - I am more concerned bout the pooping and he is also sneezing. What could I get him for this, any suggestion or comments on what is wrong? Pumkin is now nearly 8 weeks old
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Lindy:

A few weeks ago my 2.5 yr old was doing the same thing. I chocked it up to having a cold. She is fine now.

If he is scratching to the point of losing feathers, you may need to check him for mites.

Lay off fruits and other watery foods for a few days. Dehydration is scary. Feed him pellets, corn, cooked potatoe, stuff of that nature.

Let us know his progress, please.
~ Mikaela Sky

LINDY

thank

Post by LINDY »

Well thanks for the advice, pumkin is not yet scratching to the extend of loosing feathers but he is constantly scratching though i will go get some spray for in case he has something annoying him.

As for the food, is he not too young for mashed potatoes etc?
We have only been feeding him the food the pet shop gave us a phase one and he is now on phase two which is a ruff kinda porridge - he had some corn once but that is it, we took a chance giving ti too him to see what he will do with it. How do you know they ready to eat these things and when and how do they learn to eat on their own - he gobbles his food from his spoon but eats hardly anything when we try and let him eat by himself.
It seems this 3rd World country of ours (Sout Africa) is exactly that they tell you nothing that is important only what is totally needed anything else you have to surf the net for!

Im so glad I found somewhere - where I can get descent help from!!!!!
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

You can spray him for lice/mites even if he doesnt have any *but* it depends how old he is, if he is very young be careful and read the instructions and maybe check first to see if your bird really has mites...

Another reason for scratching is if he's been moulting recently the new feathers can be a little irritating, the dandruff coming off him might be just the sheath breaking off new feathers. The sheath is protection for new feathers coming out. Thats why they look all spikey. They also scratch and preen to help break the sheath so the feathers can come out.
LINDY

Post by LINDY »

:) Neokireina / Mikaela
When i first saw what was coming off pumpkin I though it might be the feather thing, as it looks like when a human has sun-birned and is pealing just in a very small scale - he is 8 weeks old and nearly has all his feather he still has some puffy grey ones hiding here and there but his feathers are growing nicely - please advise and when to feed him more grown up bird feeding like mixing vegies in - he is only on phase two food now like i explained in my first posting - we are not sure when to put him on more solid foods - and how to introduce it too him.

PS. are the mites easily spotted, cause i cant see anything :?:
Do they have special place they prefer hiding :?:
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Here is a site about mites and lice
http://www.birdtoyoutlet.com/bird-safety/article-mites-lice.htm
This is another good site that tells you a little about when they look sick
http://nv.essortment.com/parrotillnesses_rklh.htm
If it's really scratching and sneezing alot you should take it to the vet. Also look for the other signs of illness mentioned in these articles
baby_bella

Post by baby_bella »

hey there i think i can help you out with your food qestion!!!! :D

My bella is 6weeks old and she eats everything! i would say its fine to feed your baby solids or get him or her started!!! ifyou want a site to look at go to birds n ways, there ezines on parrot nutrion part 2.... it tells you all the things what to feed your lil one even the things you cant!!! i printed it out as a refence 8) , that place has awesome awesome stuff in it as you will see!!

any way if your baby lets you hand feed him feed him solids my putting it up to his beak as a lil bird i find they are curious and will eat anything as mine does!!! it cant hurt and vegies, friuts beans etc are really good for growing babies! :wink:

corn is good and mash potatoe sweet or normal and i find my baby loves strawberries and mandarin but not oranges :roll: weird lil thing!! hehe she also has a thing for peas and eggs but doesnt like kiwi fruit just like ppl they have there likes and dislikes i guess!!! :lol:

its so cute when i have breakie in the morn, we eat at the table together and its usally the same thing!!(eggs on toast hehe with a side of fruits!) but her potion is way smaller! well if any more q'z shout this way and ill try my best and so will the others there great! :P
Melika

Post by Melika »

Just use mashed sweet potato. Regular potato isn't so healthy, whereas sweet has many natural and bioavailible nutrients. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
baby_bella

Post by baby_bella »

thanks for that i didnt know it but now i do!! hehe you learn something new everyday! :D