Moulting?

Moderator: Mods

Xenobia

Moulting?

Post by Xenobia »

I've always heard that IRNs moult in the spring.
For some reason, it seems as if Busey is moulting NOW.

Busey is just about six months old and he's losing a good amount of small feathers and starting to look really ratty. He has a whole patch of sheathed pretty new feathers coming in on the top of his head, but I haven't noticed any new feathers anyplace else.
Is this something they go through at this age?
Is this a normal thing for a male 6 month old IRN?
I've been checking his wings (juvenille clip) for signs of the flights growing back, but the only new feathers I see so far are the head feathers.

If this is, indeed, a moult - what kinds of food should I be giving him besides his normal pellets/seeds/veggies to promote good feather growth?I've seen sites that say more protein but no more fat and others that say increase both protein AND fat. What do you guys suggest?
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I had a stage where my indians went through a premature almost constant moult. We finally worked out that because they were sitting on top of my moniter where it was really warm they were moulting early..

So if it's really warm in your place that could be one of the reasons
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I live in Tampa, Florida USA and my 6 month old is too in moult, about the same as you described. I believe their first moult is around 6 months, then it is seasonal.

My baby looks so raggidy, still has her tail feathers though, thank goodness.
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

I just realized Hane and Tsume did not lose wing or tail feathers. They only moulted body feathers. 0_o I hadn't thought of that until now. They're eight months and still haven't moulted wing or tail feathers. It doesn't bother me though, lol.

Protien is important since feathes are made of mostly protien. hard-boiled eggs in the shell are a good supplement- especially during moults. They have the perfect ratio of fats, protien and calcium; among other things. We give them quartered, so between the two IRNs one egg lasts four days if given every day.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

That is how my Baby moulted Melika, ok... we need to figure this out.

I am thinking at arounf 6 months they may do a body moult, then in the first spring of their lives, do a full moult? This make sense to anyone because my baby has done the body thing but never lost a tail feather... yet.

Furthermore, Melika and I live in the same town so perhaps Florida has something to do with the mini-moult?
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Or perhaps that is just the normal baby moult. -shrug-
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay