BEAK- ABNORMAL?

Moderator: Mods

Bridie

BEAK- ABNORMAL?

Post by Bridie »

Hi i just got home to my new 3 month old IRN Comet- ive only had him/her 2 1/2 weeks.
I have noticed where the beak hooks all the orange colour is gone!
Im pretty sure it was fine when i left the house this morning, we had put a branch from outside in his/her cage a couple days ago and i noticed he/she must have been chewing it today. Ive just taken a picture and will upload shortly.
Has anyone else seen anything similar?
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: BEAK- ABNORMAL?

Post by ringneck »

Nope, sounds like the beak is fine. It could be two things.

1) The ringneck is getting its adult coloring (beak color).

2) The beak has chipped off a bit--this is normal and will grow back. Beaks are like human nails--they'll can chip.

Hope this helps and please upload a picture so i can see. If there is blood--make a trip to the vet ASAP!

Best wishes :) ,

IMRAN

P.S. Waiting for your photo my friend.
Bridie

Post by Bridie »

Thanks for your quick reply Imran.
Phew i am relieved, i searched the net but most articles said discolouration was abnormal.
Im new to IRN's but i do think i need to stress a little less, i dont want people to not reply to my posts because they think im just an over protective mother lol.
There was no blood and he seems to be using his beak fine, i will post a pic when i get home from work though, just to be sure- couldnt find my cable yesterday.
I took his branch out of the cage because i thought that was the cause, now i feel mean hehe.
Thanks again.
Roxxy

Post by Roxxy »

I was just going to post about my 3 month old Koko's beak as well, and then saw this post.

Koko's beak is showing some darker colour where it curves and the rest is red, so I was wondering what that meant as well.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

if you guys can post pictures that would be a lot more easier. Well wen my ringneck was only a few weeks old the beak was a different color then from what it is now. The color had gotten darker.