IRN owners who work

Moderator: Mods

Bridie

IRN owners who work

Post by Bridie »

Hi,
My partner and I have just bought an 2 month old IRN 2 weeks ago.
We got him over the Christmas holidays so were both home and he became very tame. He would step up, fly around the house and land safely, would sit on my shoulder while i did the dishes, sit on my knee and climb up to peck at my necklace and when friends came over he was social, landing on them if they had food.
Today was back to work day :(. I came home and he was terribly scared and was flying into walls. He landed on me a few times and sat with me for a while but spent most of the afternoon pinned up on a painting that was hanging on the wall. He was like a completely different bird!

Do many IRN owners work? i work 8:00am until 5:00pm Monday - Friday. Have i done a terrible, cruel thing in getting a IRN if i am away most of the day?

He had plenty of food, the radio was left on, he has a swing and a toy, his cage is quite large and i even left a bean hanging from the roof of his cage as a little "project."

I'm only working for another six weeks until i go back to uni, but he will still be left at home 3 days a week.

Will he be ok? I hope i don't sound too rediculous!
Kray Twins

Re: IRN owners who work

Post by Kray Twins »

I also work a full time job, usually leaving the house at 7:15am and not returning until around 4-5pm. I had worried about this previously but thought that as long as I give them plenty of attention when i'm actually home there shouldn't be an issue. Due to the nature of owning pets, you're always going to have someone disagree with you and your routine.

I make sure that i'm up and preparing a breakfast of sorts for my two about 30 mins or so before I leave the house. They've got plenty of toys in the cage and things to attack throughout the day (millet, carrots, kitkat, mirrors, rope, etc, etc), like you I also leave the radio on.

I think your little'un just needs to get used to your routine and you should both be fine.
Bridie

Post by Bridie »

Thanks very much for the reply, he/she was much, much happier yesterday he/she flew straight out of his cage to me and was on my shoulder while i did some chores.
Phew, i was really worried about him. Thanks for the reassurance.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi

I also work full time, and my guy is great. I also make sure I spend time with him when I get home from work which is normally about 5:30pm. I have read its better to start the routine as soon as you get the bird home if possible, cause going from being out all day while your on holidays to being in his cage while you're at work is a big difference.

I think your guy will be fine, just keep getting him out of his cage when you are home.
I have also just moved house, and my guy is a bit skittish at the moment, but I will still get him out of the cage and play with him for a while to try and calm him down.

Regards

Shane
Bridie

Post by Bridie »

Hi Shane,
Thanks for the reply, Yes i probably should have been getting him/her into the routine right from the start but he/she is just so damn cute i couldnt help myself haha.
On that topic, what do you do on weekends? do you keep him in his routine or do you let him out of his cage for a play more often on the weekend?
I'd love to be able to have Comet out alot more on the weekends but not if it means he/she will fret every monday.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi

I know what you mean, its hard not to want to take them out. Especially when they want to come out and be with you.

On the weekends its a bit different for me. I'm always busy, but if I'm home I'll take him out. I think if you keep it similar every weekend, he will get used to it, its all about routine. Keep in mind these guys are quite smart as well, so he will figure out whats going on.

Shane
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I go to work at 6:30 AM and get home at 3:00 pm. I had no behavioral problems with my bird as of today. I make sure the bird is what i see when i get home and she seems to be happy. I should be getting her a mate soon though, ever consider that? my bird has free roam all day, she is inside a room that has closed doors when im away, so i doubt she would be able to escape outside..