Beak Colour

Moderator: Mods

Shane7285

Beak Colour

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi

I have searched for my answer but couldn't find it so I thought I would ask here.

My IRN is now 4 months old (how time flies) and his beak still has a lot of black on it. I have seen a lot of pictures on here where peoples IRN's are younger but don't have the sooty looking beak. I know the bottom half goes black, but this is the top beak. I was wondering if this is normal, or is it some kind of dietary problem. I feed him on pellets, fresh fruit and veges, and occasional seed as a treat.

Regards

Shane
Lags

Re: Beak Colour

Post by Lags »

i am no expert , but i have raised two IRN's now, and neither of them ever had any black at the top of their beak. maybe a trip to the vet is needed.
sorry i couldn't be of more help.
Melika

Post by Melika »

I'm sorry, I do not recall when Hane and Tsume lost the black on their top beaks. I do know that the chicks I've fed were ALL different when it came to beak colour and the time it changed. Same for moults and rings coming in. Perhaps a picture could help us see what you mean?

Also, have you compared your bird to the african ringneck? They typically have a darker beak.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi

I checked his beak colour again yesterday and this morning, it seems to be going red now, and the black is slowly fading so I probably wouldn't be able to get a picture of it.
My guy is blue so I'm pretty sure he isn't an African ringneck, although I know they do exist, I think I would have paid a bit more for him.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep an eye on it and see if it slowly fades.

Regards

Shane
Melika

Post by Melika »

Ooooh. There are a lot of african/inadian mixes out there that the owners probably don't even know about. It happens. But glad you're not worried anymore. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
leorio

Post by leorio »

hello my name is usama and i too have a IRN which is just a kid and is still growing feathers and his under beak is full black but the top when which should be red like other parrots is not red but it is pink very light pink. plz help me out!