paddyowner

Fleas??!!

Post by paddyowner »

Hi,

Is it possible for IRN's to have fleas?

Thanks! :lol:
addicknchips

Post by addicknchips »

yep mine did recently. caught it from the cat. have had to treat the cat and the problem has cleared up now
JHowes
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Unfortunately, yes.

Hopefully they are few so you can just pick them off. After removing them, drop the fleas into a dish with dishwashing liquid in it. They will die.

Treat the cat, of course. Also, try to do this as soon as possibly because you dont want your bird to beginning picking its feathers out or over preening.

Good luck, let us know how things go.
~ Mikaela Sky

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Actually, birds cannot get cat/dog fleas. Their bodies prove to be inhospitable.

After treating your cat for the fleas you can sprinkle some 5% sevin dust around the house, it is safe for the bird and kills fleas. They wont bite the bird, but they can climb on it and annoy it.

There are other bugs who like fleas, and if your bird gets them it requires treatment of an Avian Veterinarian to remove them, as you cannot use traditional treatments on birds.

Athena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

By 'getting fleas' we are referring to fleas getting on your bird and again, yes fleas can and do.

Also, by 'around' the house I am assuming she means OUTSIDE the house. One pin drop of seven dust would nearly kill a person, it would absolutely kill a bird.

We all give our birds different levels of freedom. Some are in cages while their parronts work. Some have free reign of the house all day, some are out all day, unless we leave or go to bed.

The active ingredient, Carbaryl has been known to kill people from it simply blowing back in their face while using it. They were unfortunately ignorant to its potentcy. This is not a product to be taken lightly. In several states, it can only be purchased with a license... North Carolina, for example.

Please refer to these sites in regards to this product and its uses.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/List_Produ ... 0treatment)

http://www.pestproducts.com/permethrin_dust.htm

Hope this helps! :)
~ Mikaela Sky

paddyowner

Post by paddyowner »

Thanks for all your advice. My IRN is kept in a cage indoors and is let out when I get home from work in the afternoon, and then put away when I go to bed. Is it possible for my IRN to catch fleas if I do not have any cats or dogs that could harbour them? The reason I ask, is that I have been getting quite a few bites on my arms recently which look like they could have been made by a flea. I think the carpet where I work is the main culprit (my company refuse to spray until we have actually seen a flea!) but I want to rule out all possible causes.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yes, many times we bring fleas into our home on our pant legs and shoes, not even realizing it. This is how inside cats and dogs contract them. They enter the home on us and then use the animals as hosts. If one brings fleas into a home lacking a host, the fleas usually die without anyone ever noticing.

This is especially true in regions that are particularly sandy. Or for yards with thick and/or tall grass.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jade

Post by Jade »

Thank God for our drought conditions! I knew there must have been a reason for it :lol: Haven't seen grass in ages, its green right?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

It is in America unless you are poor, then you tend to have sand. :|

Or winter, its brown.

In Florida we have pretty green grass all year!
~ Mikaela Sky

Jade

Post by Jade »

I have cracks opening up all over the paddock. Some are so huge you could lose a dog :P Just joking, they're not that bad. We just desperately need water. We only have tank water so basically that is used for household (and animals). All of our used water is recycled on our veggie patch - the only place in the yard thats green.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

You actually made me lol, thanks. Needed that.
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Regular table salt can be used on carpets for killing fleas. Outdoors use diatamceous earth (food grade only!) and it'll cut the fleas open and kill them.

For odours I use baking soda and while I'm add it sprinkle the floor with salt, wait a half hour (or longer if I get distracted) and then vaccuum.

Four big dogs and fleas can get out of control very quickly. The vaccuum and lawn mower are our best defences. If you have bags, remember to empty them after vaccuuming.

Birds can get fleas. A friend a few years back had a large infestation in her aviaries that nearly wiped all her quail out with anemia.

"The cat flea, Ctenocephalides felix, is the most commonly found flea in the US and infests cats, dogs, humans, and other mammalian and avian hosts."
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Little_Bailey

Post by Little_Bailey »

I have a question....should you flea ur irn? how often? and how old do they have to be before u flea them? thanks :D
Melika

Post by Melika »

Little_Bailey wrote:I have a question....should you flea ur irn? how often? and how old do they have to be before u flea them? thanks :D

No.
Birds don't usually get fleas, fleas don't like them. But they'll feed on them if there is nothing else.
And since birds are much more sensitive to chemicals no chems for them.

You can look for fleas if your bird lets you. But it's my opinion most birds can pick the fleas of themselves. Their beak is certainly more articulate than my fat fingers, lol.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Little_Bailey

Post by Little_Bailey »

Thanks melika, what about worming? :) is it the same with that too? The breeder i got him from said i have to worm him or something she just didn say how often and how old he has to be before i first do it...do u know?

If I may jump in... this too is a question of mine.
-Mikaela-
Melika

Post by Melika »

You should never have to worm an indoor bird.

Birds kept in outdoor aviaries with a dirt or open floor may need worming though.
Special wormer for birds, I would assume. Or at least a special dosage.
Little_Bailey

Post by Little_Bailey »

Thanks for the advice. :lol:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Melika, lets find one thing we disagree on, for a change. :)

I dont worm my indoor birds either, although my biggest girl goes with me to rest homes to visit the ederly. So, she comes into contact with more outdoor enviroments.

As I saw Datsun playing in the grass the other day, I realized I could be having so much more fun with my babies if I wasnt so afraid of them getting sick. I would LOVE to let my babies experience grass but wouldnt that be lethal if a wild bird has recently landed or dropped there?

Is there a safe way to let our babies play outside? Or no, they are always prone to disease regardless of what we do? I am thinking along the lines of vaccines, like for children.

Remember: I am the excessive worry-wart. Hypocondreact, anxiety ridden Momma that believes her baby landing on the floor will probably kill her instantly because I mopped 6 months ago :roll:
~ Mikaela Sky

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

You need to calm down, your missing a lot of fun in life!

Really, I promise, being outside doesn't hurt them. Of course you should make sure they are grounded, or in harnesses, but outside is awesome. I have a flight for my guys, plus Mazzie rides around on me in the yard.

Mazzie has been going outside with me since she was tamed, years and years ago now, playing in grass and trees, flowers and on the porch swing, and she's healthy as a horse. I let my birds explore the world, and its been nothing but beneficial for them :)

I even went and hunted up some pics for you...

Miss Maz, playing in the flowers:

and heres her big brother, playing in a tree:

Or 3 of them exploring the fallen leaves:

Those were taken last year, and no one has gotten sick, nothing has gone badly, and all are happy healthy birds. I haven't gotten any shots this year because we've been so busy... but I wanted you to see that they can play outside safely.

Just make sure the area is free of pesticides or fertilizers, and supervise closely.... its a wonderful experience. I bet they come running back to you for reassurance lots until they get used to it :)

Athena
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Datsun LOVES being outside and I will never deprive her of that! Its the reason I clip my birds wings. I enjoy watching her play at the park, or in the yard and it also means she cant crap on me!

I would never leave my bed if I worried as much as you Mikaela :lol:

I honestly think things as simple as playing in the grass and the enjoyment she gets out of it are worth the very rare chance she could pick something up. Of course I love my girl and I would never do anything to hurt her or make her sick, I was right there and did not let her eat any grass or run all over the place.

Try it! Its fun!

EDIT: Athena the pic of Mazzie in the flowers is tooo precious! cutest pic ever
-Chamon-

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ok, I am fairly convinced... I am going to ease up and let my babies explore.

I am just as bad about my 17 year old (well he will be 17 when he leaves in the fall, 16 now). He has to be home by 10... 1130 on week-ends. He leaves for college in the fall *runs to puke just thinking about it* and I am SO far from being able to let go. I still see him as a baby, yet he is so independant. Great grades in school, fulltime job, always there for his brothers when me and dad cant be. When they put him ahead in school two grades I didnt put two and two together to equal him leaving for college at 16 :cry: He skipped the 4th and 8th grade.

This is a personal struggle I am having a hell of a time with. I should be having my babies now... not losing them. I just turned 30! :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Most wild birds aren't the 'disease carriers' some make them out to be anyway.

If they were, you would hear every day about a florida aviary infected by wild bird dropping. But you don't hear that. Because it isn't happening.

I would avoid dusk though, with the west nile issues in the area (for yourself too, not just the birds, lol) but with the cold it doesn't matter so much. It's best to go in the afternoon when it's warmer. ^^

Just keep them from poisonous plants if you grow any. ^^
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

None other than my huge Marijuana plants.
~ Mikaela Sky