All registrations must be approved by an admin. Having problems with registration? E-mail us at indianringnecks@gmail.com

20 year old ringneck just now getting ring

Moderator: Mods

purpleones

20 year old ringneck just now getting ring

Post by purpleones » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am

Hi, I have a 20 year old ringneck who just recently began showing a ring. I am not a novice, I owned an exotic bird store for 10 years and bred birds for many of those years. This bird was purchased to sell when my shop was first opened. She ? was sold and returned to me and I decided to keep her. Imagine my surprise when a few weeks ago, during a molt, this ring started to appear. The ring isn't solid yet, but I have watched as it is coming in a little at a time and the coloration is correct for a lutino ringneck ring.
I was just hoping to find out if anyone else has ever had this happen with one of their birds or has ever heard of it before. She ? was never set up to breed as she ? has just always been a pet. Behavior doesn't indicate to me one way or the other what gender I have, I just always assumed that without the ring I definitely had a female. Does anyone else have any ideas about how this happened?

Thanks in advance!