Looking into buying IRN

Moderator: Mods

skyfire

Looking into buying IRN

Post by skyfire »

Hi everyone, growing up I had owned a Budgie, and many years ago we had a Quacker in the house. So I am somewhat familar with these types. Recently however my wife and I saw a Blue IRN that we really liked and would like to get. I have been researching IRN's all over the net and see a lot of great things about the IRN. The only question I have is do they seem to be either loud or constant squackers? The one we saw did not make much noise at all. We plan to have the cage set up in the livingroom.

We do not mind the bird whistles, talking, squacks, etc... and of couse expect it, but was just wondering on how much to expect. Thank you very much...

:P
CalamariBaby

Re: Looking into buying IRN

Post by CalamariBaby »

I was unsure of what to expect sound wise when I got mine but turns out he has been very good.
We got him at 2 months old. We have always covered him from about 9 pm 'til 8 am and his is quiet 'until we get 'up and start breakfast.... This is when he starts in with whatever words he knows hoping we will think he is cute and give him some food.
He babbles and whistles when we are home to keep him company, but is not a screamer or squawker. In the beginning he would make some bird squawks when we went out of the room, but we would just whistle back to let him know we were still close. He makes awesome sounds never piercing or too loud. He learning words now so be mostly sits babbling and making strange sounds as he practices. The only time I hear him screech is a few times when we are leaving the house or when we come home he joins in with our dog who barks. Our bird is 8 months old now. He is awesome.
His cage is in a room where if someone is awake they are in there or walking past him a lot, so maybe this helps him feel secure and not alone.
Allie
Melika

Post by Melika »

Compared to a quaker? Compared to a quaker, my Hane is practically a mute! :lol:

Really, ours aren't noisy at all. It isn't constant like a budgie and I don't think the pitch is as annoying as some other birds. I also encourage him to be quiet by ignoring him if he gets too noisy for me and making it a point to go over and talk to him/play with him when he's being quiet. I really like things quiet.

Budgies don't bother me because their volume and pitch is lowish. But they drive my mother crazy because it's constant burbling. My cockatiel, on the other hand, didn't bother her at all but drove me CRAZY with his high pitched cries for a mate.

Noise is subjective.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
julie

Post by julie »

Mine seem to make as much noise as the people in the house do. If everyone is being loud and running around doing whatever the birds are normally chatting away and doing their daily things they do, but my house isnt really that noisy.

It also depends on how you deal with the bird too, I dont reccomend giving the bird attention when it is being overly noisy as this encourages them to continue the behaviour to get attention ect. If the bird starts contact calling dont answer the calls.
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

True Zazu is so quiet except for him murmuring and babbling..... He is trying new words and sounds right now so it is a funny time we listen and laugh at what his next word may be... :oops:
But when the kids start getting loud and high pitch as little girls do he will start with some mocking squaks of his own. But really no other times load unless we are coming or going.
Now let me add that Zazu was is our first house bird and at a pet shop the other day I noticed they had a little bird room with some Quakers and Sun Conures and I was blown away by their little bodies and big voices. :shock:
Allie
bec

Post by bec »

i started out buying a ringneck for my daughter since then i have bought myself 6 more & bred 4 (unforunatly we have lost 3& the last 3 bubs have gone on to new homes) i highly recomend these lovley creatures all of them have had wonderful & very different personalities alot of the time i find my flock of cockateils noisier than the ringies
seting up the cage in the living room is a wonderful idea as it will allow him/her to observe your family while doing your everyday thing (so you not totaly focused on him all the time ) this will help him get to know you quicker & feel safe around you
i agree with you the blues are wonderful my first one of my own is a blue (kieron )
the noisiest part of the day with my guys is wake up time and when the sun goes down
& when i bring home a shopping bag coz they just know i wouldnt shop without buying them something yummy!!!!
it sounds like an irn would suit you (or you would suit an irn)
& i hope if you do decided to become owned by one of these glorious bird you will share pics with us :D