jealous behaviour not seen before

Moderator: Mods

laine

jealous behaviour not seen before

Post by laine »

Just to recap for those who don't know:
Smokey is 100% my bird - to the extreem. I am Mum / Mate / Friend. Smokey is, however, very friendly with the rest of the family for varying different reasons - everyone has their purpose according to Smokey. This particular behaviour relates to my 18 year old son, Dale. Dale has a cockateil named Zeke whom Smokey would love to play with but obviously "princess Zeke" will not have a bar of it. Anyway Smokey still loves Dale and each time he sees him Smokey calls out "Buck". Now I know this is it because he used to love an advert on the TV, advertising bowling and it was - 8 buck bowling. Smokey loved the sound of it but picked up on the word buck. He likes the tone Dale uses and so Dale is known as Smokey's Buck friend. Smokey is used to Zeke's rejections and manages to get Dale's attention when he can and they just say Buck to each other and Smokey likes to kiss Dale too.

The other night I walked into Dale's room, Zeke was on Dale's shoulder, Smokey on mine. Dale was making kissing noices to Zeke. All of a sudden Smokey squawked and flew at both Zeke and Dale in an attacking manner, quick reflexes made Dale cover Zeke with his hand. Now I could understand if I was kissing Zeke, but Dale? This poses 2 thoughts to me. 1. Obviously he has a ranking order of possession over each family member and no other bird is allowed to receive any form of affection from any of us 2. I have been pondering a 2nd bird & worrying how it would affect Smokey - I think I have just found out what would happen if Smokey had to share his mum.
julie

Re: jealous behaviour not seen before

Post by julie »

Im not sure if its a time of year thing or not but indie did something similar today.
Indie and Mika are sharing a cage that opens up at the top, I was standing in the middle of the front of the cage and mika was saying kisp kisp (kiss kiss) and walking towards me and all of a sudden indie flew at me and in the process knocked Mika flying. Indie made it back to the cage and ran around the top with his wings out like a kid pretending to fly and squarking at us. he has never done anything like it before and after a while he settled down and it was like nothing happened. Im not sure if he was trying to get Mika away from me or he was trying to get me away from Mika, they are a little confused and act like a bonded pair (both boys).