Preparing the birds for life in outdoors

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Preparing the birds for life in outdoors

Post by Lauren »

:( Has anyone got any ideas on what I should be doing to prepare them for a new life in an aviary outdoors?

Jibby and Lola have been free to roam the house for theyre life.
But since we are building a small house and have a baby on the way, I feel as though I have to give them up for life outside. :(

We'll be moving in December and baby is due in Febuary. So much change for all of us lately! Emotionally, I just feel terrible I cannot spend as much time with them as I have done. They will still be well loved, just outdoors. Its the process of this change Im worried about!

Ive started keeping them in their cages a bit more often lately and they are not happy with this! Lola has started screetching alot more and Jibby is getting a lil nasty, he really doesnt like me much lately. I feel terrible! What did I do wrong? Im feeling extreemly lethargic and low on energy lately so I havnt been able to spend as much time with them as Id like. They have also just come out of breeding season (unsuccessfully again). So they are just getting back into their routines. They still get to fly around the house, though Im gradually cutting down their 'free time'.

Dads aviary that hes giving us is *edit* hexagonal and about 1600mm at its widest point, I think, I havnt actually seen it yet, but he has shown me plans of the garden with measurements (dads very much into landscaping and a bit of a perfectionist in this area, house is only at brickwork stage and hes already got the garden plans done lol). Im thinking of expanding it another metre to give them more space and weatherproofing it a bit more. But it still feels tiny compared to what they are usually used to, the whole house. :( If I had it my way, they would have a bigger aviary! But the backyard is only 3 metres to the backfence! So I only have about 2 metres to work with.

Has anyone had to make this change? How did your birds handle the change?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

i wouldnt cage them inside yet unless its something you actually want to do. Being outside will be exciting for them and the other birds and things to see should keep them occupied. They will aadapt pretty well and will probably be a lot happier with their own space. Thetime of year that you will be putting them outdoors sounds perfect too and by winter they should be adapted fine.
bec

Post by bec »

when we evacuated from the fires on black saturday the birds went sraight in to the avairy at my friends place from having pretty much full time free in the house
they LOVED it!!! (apart from skeet)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Perhaps its those pregnancy hormones making me overly emotional about things lately. Sounds like many birds adapt quickly. I guess I wont know till we try it huh! :D
Oh yes, they wont be outside during the next summer, if its anything like last summer! But Ill bring them outside regularly to adjust. End of Feb should be better weather but who knows really. Thats when I plan on making the aviary theyre perminant home.
Thanx for the support chickies! :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
bec

Re: Preparing the birds for life in outdoors

Post by bec »

no worries lauren :lol: