Girlfriend for Smokey?

Moderator: Mods

laine

Girlfriend for Smokey?

Post by laine »

I have been considering getting a girlfriend for Smokey. He is almost 4, very spoilt, very bonded to me, but very friendly. If I decide to do it how old should the new one be, or should I get a baby? Is there a chance Smokey will turn away from me and want to be with the new bird instead? Is he too old to introduce a new bird? Any advice is welcome. Also can anyone recommend a reputable breeder in Melbourne. I live in Caroline Springs which is the western suburbs but I would travel to get a beautiful irn baby.
Thanks Elaine
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello there!
I got my Jibby his wifey Lola when he was 6, she was a baby and I didnt actually know she was female. lol. I can say bringing the 2 together has had its ups and downs.
While Jibby still has his moments where he will want my attention over her, mostly when he cant get any attention from her, (Im second choice now), he went from being my baby boy, to Lolas man! The biggest change in him was when she was 'ready' as an adult bird.
Please think twice about getting a wife for Smokey.
Think about whether your okay with him bonding to another bird rather than yourself, can you let go a little with him? Are you okay with being 2nd?
For us that separation is still happening and hes 9 years old now. Jibby is okay when its just the 2 of us and Lola is out of sight. But put Lola in the middle and he turns into a very protective (and snappy) monster! He wont let me even talk to her without his permission! LOL. If she is spending time with me, he is there ready to snap, if I even dare to get closer!
Think about what would happen if they didnt get along at all?
Keep in mind, with Jibby and Lola, they have theyre good days and bad days, theyll occasionally snap at each other over lil things like whos got which cage tonight or that piece of food on the bottom of the cage..
It might take a while for them to bond too.
I think Jibby loved Lola the moment he saw her, but she was a baby and knew it, she didnt let him get too close until she was ready and she made her authority known the moment they were let out together. Jibby was put in his place very quickly! lol.
So now were making the change from sleeping in separate cages indoors to sleeping together in 1 aviary outdoors. Thats going to be our next experiement. They seem to have gotten the 2 cage thing sorted. They swap nearly every second night and its always Lolas decision!
The bonding process with mine took a while, I think because she was a baby when she met Jibby. Im guessing getting an adult female would give you an almost immediate result on whether they will get along or not? Its a guess as I have not done this.
Whichever you choose. I hope it works out for Smokey! :D

Edit: I dont know any on your side of town. I dont have the breeder I got Lola froms number anymore. I know he was in Langwarrin. Im sorry I cant help there.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
laine

Re: Girlfriend for Smokey?

Post by laine »

Thanks Lauren, that has given me alot to think about. Since posting this I, quite surprisingly, came across the girl who I bought Smokey from. She is not a breeder, just the girl who used to work at the pet shop I got him from, however, she knows alot about birds. I asked her opinion and she said almost exactly what you have said also adding that there could be alot of tears (on my part) if Smokey and the new one didn't get along and they fought or if Smokey loves his new lady and turns from me. I love him so much as he does me and I don't want to change that relationship.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me, I think I will leave things just the way they are. :D
SkyBaby

Re: Girlfriend for Smokey?

Post by SkyBaby »

I got a friend for Skye. I ended up getting whichever bird I fell in love with. Anakin ended up being male. He was DNA sexed so we knew for sure. You don't necessarily have to have a female. My two share a large cage and all seems well. They seem to get along pretty well for the most part. They have their squabbles, but otherwise they're fine.