Ring?

Moderator: Mods

Bird_l0ver

Ring?

Post by Bird_l0ver »

I have a four month old Ringneck and I saw this black coloring coming in under it's beak. I don't get it I thought Ringnecks were supposed to ring at 2 years old..?

Image[/img]
Fah

Post by Fah »

I have never seen / heard of a normal IRN colour up like that before 10-12 months of age, and those cases are very rare.

At just 4 months of age, I would honestly be a little worried about your birds hormone levels (caused by several things).

Ideally, if you have them on a good quality diet (lots of high end seed, fruit, veg, or pellts + fruit and veg, good sunlight etc...) I would probably just take it in to a vet. Hormone issues can actually serve to greatly reduce the life span of the bird, so best to rule that out as a problem with a simple blood test.

Hormone issues are not fatal, and relatively easily treatable depending on the issue at hand, so I would not worry too much about that, but best bet is to get a check up.

I would def agree on its age, just by going on the colouring on the beak and eyes, so its not as if I feel someone has told you a lie in regards to its age.

Any chance of some more body shots? Just wouldnt mind seeing the feathering through the rest of the fella.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Re: Ring?

Post by kyria »

Does look to me like its the beginning of a ring. I have heard of birds (not common) showing a ring coming in very early, next molt it goes away again until the 2 year adult stage when it comes in for good. ?? The amazing world of birds huh !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

U.S Marine

Re: Ring?

Post by U.S Marine »

It could just be the bird is getting its ring. Some boys hit puberty early :lol: